crystal river SEND HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexmartinezphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I got certified at the end of the last season and I'm a student so paying a bunch of money to go down south for a dive was out of question. Summer is slowly approaching (very slowly for Chicago) and I really want to go take a dive in the crystal river. It will be my second logged dive. not counting the open water dives from getting certified. I was wondering if any one could point me in the right directions as far as a LDS in the crystal river area. Keep in mind that my girlfriend does not dive (she is way to scared) but she would like to go snorkeling with the manatees. So pretty much I need a place that is going to have the snorkeling manatee tours for my girlfriend and be able to set me up with a dive buddy while im down there. Oh and how can I forget. not be super expensive. I'm already working two jobs to pay for my degree I can do with out a 3rd.

THANKS GUYS!

Alex,
I feel your pain and I live north of you yet! But we head south to Florida soon,

Ok Crystal river is ok to see manatee, and to do so Snorkel is the only way,Vis can be crap or not the best. Bird's Underwater may help you get out but not to much to dive next to Kings spring and well your a newer diver.

If your driving down hit like* Troy Springs or Manatee= low park and entry fee and post on the board you may get a buddy? * you need a buddy to dive all the springs.

need equipment try Extreme exposure High springs they offer guided tours based on experience, Devils den & Blue Grotto are more expensive to enter and have shops on site,If you post you may find a buddy to hook up with the day you get to the spring!
Best bet get that girl a C card!
Safe trip,
Brad

Try calling Carl or Dave, the owners of Adventure Diving right in Crystal River. They are a couple of first class guys who will make your experience a real fun one for sure. We have used them for our trips there for years and will continue to use them well into the future! You can call them at (866) 518-1530 - tell them Indian Valley Scuba sent you!

Don't get your heart set on any manatees from here on till next Fall. They are heading down river to the gulf in droves, that's were all the food is now. The temp. in the gulf is about what the springs are. The last 3 weeks have been in the low 80's and the gulf was warming about 10 degrees a week. The viz. in the bay hasn't been very good for as long as I can remember. You might want to try a dive at Rainbow River. Get your gear and drive over to KP Hole. There's a guy just down stream from the park that shuttles divers and snorkelers up stream. You and your girl could do the same trip. Try a weekend and he'll probably have at least 4 for a trip and it's only about 15 a head. Good Luck.

Diving is only allowed in certain areas of Crystal River. Those areas are the caverns and with your limited experience, not somewhere you should be venturing. Even if diving was allowed throughout Crystal River, the visibility is not very good and average depth is less than 10'. You would be better off visiting some of the local springs like Troy, Alexander, Vortex, and Morrison. The entry fees range from free to $19 and diving is good in all of those right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom