Last minute anxiety & Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've made so many posts in this Cozumel forum in the past few weeks and you all have been so helpful! Four of us are heading to Coz Mar 5th-13. Basically my first time outside of the US aside from the Bahamas, looking forward to it!!

Is there any reason I should get pesos? If so, where? From what I understand most places (esp. dive ops) will take US$, but aside from dive ops would I be getting a better bang for my $ by using pesos? I'm not familiar with the exchange rate at the moment. If I go to an ATM in Coz how many pesos will I get per $? Should I just bring a few hundred cash USD with me or what?

Aside from the diving which will take up most of our time, any *must see/do* things in Coz?? We don't drink alcohol, and already have a cenote dive planned.

Anything else first timers should know?

Thanks!

Don't get peso's here in the U.S before you leave. When I went to Coz and Cancun, I remember everyone preferring U.S dollars.. but make sure you have lots of low denominations lots of 1's, 5's and 10's. the 20's, 50's, and 100's are useless there. I would also recommend going to an ATM at the airport when you get there and take a few peso's out. DO NOT go to an exchange rate desk. they charge fees. maybe $20-$50 US worth. But using a credit card is your best bet.. you get the actual exchange rate and you don't have to worry much else..

1)So.. plan to use U.S dollars but have small bills. NO BIG BILLS!!!!!!
2) have a small amout of peso's for the small shops that don't want to deal with U.S money (remember that you will get peso's as change for any difference) so they can take advantage if you don't know your math and exchange rate)
3) use Credit cards for as much as you can.. saves the hastle of everything..

go onto yahoo finance or google and type in exchange rates. you can see how many peso's you get for a $

There isn't too much to do around coz except dive. the beaches are rocky and not gorgeous like Cancun (or here) so besides diving and going into town to absorb some of the culture you're out of luck. You're hotel will be able to suggest options for you. I loved going to Talum when I was there. Mayan ruins. gorgeous beach, etc.. you would have to take a ferry to get there since you're on an island..

First time out of the US? oh my..you've been deprived! :wink: There's a whole world out there!

I've made so many posts in this Cozumel forum in the past few weeks and you all have been so helpful! Four of us are heading to Coz Mar 5th-13. Basically my first time outside of the US aside from the Bahamas, looking forward to it!!

Is there any reason I should get pesos? If so, where? From what I understand most places (esp. dive ops) will take US$, but aside from dive ops would I be getting a better bang for my $ by using pesos? I'm not familiar with the exchange rate at the moment. If I go to an ATM in Coz how many pesos will I get per $? Should I just bring a few hundred cash USD with me or what?

Aside from the diving which will take up most of our time, any *must see/do* things in Coz?? We don't drink alcohol, and already have a cenote dive planned.

Anything else first timers should know?

Thanks!

Thanks FTL diver good to see you around still its been a while! I meant to post this in the Cozumel forum but you gave a helpful answer!

No need for pesos - but totally agree with the above post - take lots of small bills.... you can pay for anything with dollars, and they're well received. But, if you don't have change, no one can "make change" for you. They say that in the hopes that you'll give up and leave $5 for something that should be $3. It happens all the time.

The US Dollar is preferred. I wouldn't bother getting Pesos. And yes, small bills, but of course big bills are OK when you're paying for big items (i.e. dive charter).

Carlos n Charlies is a fun place.

And it's worth taking the ferry to Playa Del Carmen for an evening. Lots of bars/restaurants/shops, and they have nice beaches.

Have fun! I'm jealous! :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom