Regulator "whistling"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just had my SR1 serviced. I tried it in the pool. It seems to have a high pitched whistle when I inhale underwater, not on the surface but underwater. I am going to return it and have the tech look at it again. What can be done about this? Or is there really anything wrong? I have a trip planned and do not want any problem. I cannot tell if it is from the first stage or the second stage. What does the Sherwood rep think or what does anyone else think?

I had a similar problem after having my SP Mark 10 serviced - turns out there was not enough grease in the first stage. Might be the same for you, but I'm not sure. Just a thought.

I had a similar problem after having my SP Mark 10 serviced - turns out there was not enough grease in the first stage. Might be the same for you, but I'm not sure. Just a thought.

Thanks

Let me preface my comments by saying that I've never worked on a Sherwood reg before, so my recommendations are based on general principles of reg repair.

In terms of diagnosing the issue, it's really important to figure out the origination point of the whistling sound. The fact that the noise only occurs underwater complicates the repair. If it's coming from the first stage, then it could well be the issue that apertyx raised -- not enough lube on a HP piston o-ring. I've read that whistling/moaning can also be caused by the opposite condition -- too much lube on the HP o-ring. In either case, it would necessitate taking the first stage apart, cleaning, possibly re-lubing, and then reassembling. With Scubapro regs demonstrating similar issues, I read somewhere that making a minor adjustment, such as rotating the piston in its bore or flipping the spring over, might do the trick. While he's at it, a reg tech with access to official overhaul parts might just drop in a new HP seat or a completely new kit altogether. Essentially, the first stage would get overhauled again. This really doesn't troubleshoot what is currently wrong with the reg, but it may fix the issue.

Whistling/moaning/funny noises coming from the second stage during inhalation might be caused by resonance of the diaphragm with the second stage case. If this is the cause, it would be a little unusual that the funny noise only manifests underwater. A possible fix is to rotate and re-seat the diaphragm.

The point I'm trying to communicate here is that this issue could be a difficult one to troubleshoot. For this reason, I think it's worth taking the reg back to the shop where it was last serviced. Good luck.

Last edited:
Let me preface my comments by saying that I've never worked on a Sherwood reg before, so my recommendations are based on general principles of reg repair.

In terms of diagnosing the issue, it's really important to figure out the origination point of the whistling sound. The fact that the noise only occurs underwater complicates the repair. If it's coming from the first stage, then it could well be the issue that apertyx raised -- not enough lube on a HP piston o-ring. I've read that whistling/moaning can also be caused by the opposite condition -- too much lube on the HP o-ring. In either case, it would necessitate taking the first stage apart, cleaning, possibly re-lubing, and then reassembling. With Scubapro regs demonstrating similar issues, I read somewhere that making a minor adjustment, such as rotating the piston in its bore or flipping the spring over, might do the trick. While he's at it, a reg tech with access to official overhaul parts might just drop in a new HP seat or a completely new kit altogether. Essentially, the first stage would get overhauled again. This really doesn't troubleshoot what is currently wrong with the reg, but it may fix the issue.

Whistling/moaning/funny noises coming from the second stage during inhalation might be caused by resonance of the diaphragm with the second stage case. If this is the cause, it would be a little unusual that the funny noise only manifests underwater. A possible fix is to rotate and re-seat the diaphragm.

The point I'm trying to communicate here is that this issue could be a difficult one to troubleshoot. For this reason, I think it's worth taking the reg back to the shop where it was last serviced. Good luck.

Thanks for your comments. I am going to take it back. I talked to the shop yesterday and they said bring it back, they said they will probably turn the spring over and reassemble it as you have suggested. Thanks for your post as it is very informative.

Please return the regulator to the store where you had it serviced for additional inspection/testing. This can fixed and is only a minor adjustment. If the store has any questions regarding this issue, they will contact our technical department.

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Please return the regulator to the store where you had it serviced for additional inspection/testing. This can fixed and is only a minor adjustment. If the store has any questions regarding this issue, they will contact our technical department.

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Thanks.

Would you have any idea what minor adjustment is needed? Can you describe it to me?

Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice. No, the adjustment cannot be described until the regulator is in the hands of a trained technician with the proper equipment to evaluate the performance to determine the issue. Once the technician repairs the issue, they can tell you in detail what was done. I hope this helps.

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

I took it back to the shop. He called me yesterday and wanted to send it back to Sherwood for service. Unfortunately there is little time left before my trip next week to get this accomplished. He said he would break it down, put a new kit in it (including a new piston), make sure there is adequate lube and turn the spring over. Thanks for your help on this. I hope this solves the problem because if it doesn't I am not going to be a happy camper. Renting is not the way I want to go.

Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice. No, the adjustment cannot be described until the regulator is in the hands of a trained technician with the proper equipment to evaluate the performance to determine the issue. Once the technician repairs the issue, they can tell you in detail what was done. I hope this helps.

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Right now it looks like we are applying the shoot then aim philosophy. Makes me kind of nervous as I will be doing my AOW and doing a deep dive. If I don't get a good reason for what is going on and what it took to fix it, I am afraid to say I will not be doing my deep dive with that reg, I will replace it if I don't think I can trust it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom