Beginner Set-Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kascls

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed our daughter up for SCUBA certification training. She needs: mask, snorkel, fins, boots, weight/belt and maybe a wetsuit?

The dive shop will outfit her with new gear, though the selection (colors) are very limited and expensive. I've been looking on Craigslist and the chances of finding her size is a longshot.

She is 17 y/o - 5'8", 115-120 lbs. She wears a size 9 shoe and would like pink/purple accents.

I have spent lots of money over the years buying new equipment for lacrosse, football, baseball, band, etc.. This time around, I'd like to buy some good quality used gear. She can upgrade later if she wants to..

My suggestion is to buy the mask that fits her face the best. A mask which doesn't fit well will require her to clear it constantly. The color should be secondary. That being said; my backup mask with red trim looks pink underwater. I HAVE to get a new one.

welcome to scubaboard and welcome to your daughter starting out on a past-time that is a sport for some, living for others, and enjoyable by all ...
shoot me an email ... ill assist you

Ebay is your friend for stuff like fins, snorkels (get a cheap one that will work and if it rolls up even better), Mask is one of those things that unless I'm buying the exact same model I have I pretty much have to go to the LDS and make sure a new one fits. Boots you can get from ebay as well.

For your daughter I'd suggest new as she may find used ones "gross". As for a weightbelt unless she really wants one- why? The shop should supply that. If you do want to buy one then they are new about 7 bucks. As for a suit again what water temps will she be in? Big determining factor. Also sizes are not the same from mfg to mfg. One company's large may be another's medium large. It does make a difference as fit is a critical aspect of the suit retaining warmth.

They are not expensive for thinner ones. a 1.5 mm can start at 60 bucks on sale. A 3mil maybe 125 or so. And you can choose to tell her or not if you go used that there are two kinds of divers generally. Those who pee in their suits and those who say they do not and most of them are liars.:D

I have a full chapter dedicated to practical choosing of gear in my book that I feel ever new diver should read. Shops and some mfg's may disagree with that but equipment of any kind should be bought with as much information as possible and with her best interests in mind.

OK, so it sounds like:

Mask: Do not buy one without trying it on. I guess we'll be buying this locally.

Wetsuit: We won't be doing any cold water diving, per se. But, the quarries and rivers get cool I imagine. We'll be diving some in Florida as well. After reading some of the replies, I am thinking we'll need to buy new, and she'll need to try it on. I am thinking she'll need a tall size. This was not required for the training.

Fins: Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Open heel or full foot? Split or full? How about size? Spring strap?

Boots: Ebay, craiglsist, etc. High or low? Will a dive sock be sufficient?

Weight belt: LDS said it is a required piece of equipment for the training. Web belt with lead weights or integrated pocket belt with shot...or something else entirely? Whatever the verdict, I'd like to think I could buy this used.

Snorkel: Sounds like new here too? Lots of variables I am thinking dry, but beyond that I don't even know.

Why is the shop telling you to buy weightbelt and weights? Until she actually starts her training you will have no idea how much she needs and lead is not cheap. Solid is like 2.50 a lb and shot 3.50 last time I looked. It may be more now. No shop here requires students to buy weights and a belt. I;d check around before starting this class.

Fins you want open heel. Splits are ok for some people but are often more expensive and for a new diver are not as effective in some conditions.

A dive sock it not going to cut it if you do any local diving. The boots not only help the fins fit better but they also protect the foot from sharp rocks, sticks, etc when getting into and out of the water. Spring straps are my personal recommendation but not absolutely necessary.

The suit not being required is good. But it will have a direct effect on how much weight she will need. She may require 12lbs or 20. Again you don't know. Even if you do find used weights shipping will be expensive if you have to go that way. How much time did you all spend interviewing this shop and instructor. They are not all the same and they are in effect working for you. Most people spend more time deciding on what television to buy and they end up regretting some part of the experience. Not a good way to start out at all.

A dry snorkel is not necessary. Most expensive kind and will likely end up staying in the bottom of the dive bag after she has been diving a while. Something like this is much better:
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/stealth-roll-snorkel-p-2891.html

This is the one I use. It rolls up and goes into my suit or BC pocket when under water.

For your basic equipment you should realy try it all on, and get it from your local shop. One they can help you with fit & second you are supporting the shop. Colors in scuba diving have been dark blues & blacks but they are starting to come back with colors. The shop should order it for you if you want specific colors but you may pay the shipping charge. Diving is expensive so if thats an issue get out now. She will most likely at the min need a 3mm suit probably thicker. Use the shop ones for traing and she will get a better idea. As far as the weights, from experience you know with certain thickness of suits & looking at a persons build you can get pretty close. Again the shop will be able to help you with all this. If they can not or you do not like the shop or have a bad feeling with them and their sales, you prob should not do the training with them either because you may not be happy. Try to support your local shop, they make nothing on ow training its the gear sale that allows them to make a little profit.

I like a snorkel with a replaceable mouthpiece the same as the regulator mouthpiece. I'm a biter. Try to get an old simple j-tube from craigslist for like $10 or something.

Look for good, solid fins. I see a lot of Mares Avanti's on craigslist very cheap ($30 or so), and I've been very happy with mine. At first they hurt my calves and I whined, but I got used to them quickly.

Weight belts aren't expensive, but weight is. Paying to rent makes sense. I used 30lb of lead on my checkout dives, and I dive with 4lb now. That's literally $100 in lead that I didn't need to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom