OMS IQ Pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody dive this system with a single tank. I currently own a SS OMS backplate and am between choosing the IQ Pack vrs a comfort harness for the Backplate. Any opinions on these set up options.

I used IQ Pack for a number of years. Last year switched to Comfort Harness II. I prefer rigidity of shoulder straps over IQ Pack. Added back pad, no cummerbund.

Use OMS stainless single tank adapter. If weight is factor for travel, you can use aluminum version of adapter, or Oxycheq mini ss plate system.

Thanks Ken, does it use two Cam Bands or one if dived without STA. Plus, the Comfort Harness 2 is being used with the plate only and if so how does that feel.

Thanks Ken, does it use two Cam Bands or one if dived without STA. Plus, the Comfort Harness 2 is being used with the plate only and if so how does that feel.

I have not tried without STA. Has 3 slot sets for Cams, and two sets are accessible. I use the STA because I think it's more stable that way, and weight is not an issue [except for flying] because I'd have to add more lead without it.

I have not used harness with plate only, got the add-on back pad, which I like. Probably not necessary with any suit 3 mil or over, as suit acts as pad. For anything thinner, hard to tell, but seems that the back [mine, at least] is not terribly sensitive to such, as plate is flat and without protrusions.

I got the back pad because I was coming from IQ, and was kind of accustomed to it. Besides, I have a history of back problems, though none whilst diving. Didn't cost much and, having it, have no incentive to remove it.

Back pad is nice, but uses plate holes to attach. Could be some interference if you use them for other purposes, like pony bottle attach. Of course, the IQ system has the plate inside the pocket, and the holes are not normally usable. For IQ, I punched thru fabric, installed grommets, so I could attach my custom pony bottle attachment.

On the cheap, you could make your own pad, using high,density foam, like for exercise pads. Or Costco sells these interlocking floor pads, and one tile would likely be a good fit. Foam compression not really a factor, because it will pretty easily compress under a bit of pressure, and only provide a bit of lift at the surface, which is fine. Should have no problem going down, because of the weight difference between full and depleted tank.

I use the Deluxe Comfort Harness without the pad and cummerbund. I had the opportunity some time back to pick up a IQ Pak on the cheep but decided against the IQ Pak. My reason was simple even with the shoulder pads of the Deluxe Comfort Harness the added buoyancy was marginal at best but with a full IQ Pak and cummerbund that can't be said. Otherwise when comparing the 2 they are more alike than different in function.
As for the need for a pad I use a shortie even in tropical waters and have never found a BP to be uncomfortable in any way. I find the pad just added buoyancy to consider.

Ken,
I'm interested in an OMS system. What do you do for weights? The pockets on the picture on the website look like they hang low around the front thigh?

I use the Deluxe Comfort Harness without the pad and cummerbund.

+1

That's exactly what I did, the pads on the shoulders added no comfort, for me they actually got in the way and made the whole thing too tight around my neck. I have used the comfort harness without the pads now for like 5 years, best BC I ever had.

Ken,
I'm interested in an OMS system. What do you do for weights? The pockets on the picture on the website look like they hang low around the front thigh?

First, I use the stainless steel backplate. that's about 6 pounds. Then I have about 3 pounds of stainless plate bolted to the backplate. I use the single tank adapter, and that's worth another couple of pounds. Then, I have small pockets [4] on the cam bands, right up against the backplate, and clipped down. This will hold 8 pounds when needed.

You're probably thinking about the BCA-IWP or BCA-270 pocket, which hangs down like you say. I use a pair of BCA 269 pockets, mounted horizontally, with enclosure forward. These will hold at least 5 pounds each. If I really need to ditch weights [though it's never happened], I can just pull on the flaps. No need to dig into the pockets. Actually, I use the horizontal mounting scheme because that set of straps seems more stable to me. I'm not that concerned about having to drop weights.

If it's a thick suit [I'm a big guy], I'll wear a weight belt as well, which I quite dislike, with up to 6 pounds, or whatever I need.

This is my way of doing things, what it's evolved to over the years. It works for me. Not DIR, but DIK, the Do It Ken way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom