Aqua Lung Dimension I3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everybody,
It seems to me that the i3 inflation system from Aqua Lung is way superior to the traditional inflater hose. I would like to buy my first BC. Are there any disadvantages of the i3 system, I can't see any. Why do all the other manufacturers not switch to this system? Thanks for your advise,
Arnold

Arnold,

There are two major issues. The first and most important -- people aren't familiar with the system, it isn't even in the neighborhood of DIR. If you have issues under water, does your buddy know how to use it, do you in a stress situation, can you use it to take a puff or two on the way up from 130fsw on a CESA?

The second is there are more moving parts, and moving parts=bad IMO.

Those two things being said, I have a shocker. I own one. It has about 20 dives on it, and I love it. All things being equal, I'll go with my Zeagle Ranger, or my Mares Pegasus, and I'm sure you'll get 20 million or so people that will tell you BP&W is way better here. But all things being equal, it's a fine BC for the money, the handle has advantages (much better in a stuck inflator situation), and it's flat out comfortable as heck.

Happy Diving,
Jeff

got one here as well....i really like it. the i3 lever takes some getting used to but it is almost second nature after a few dives. i don't like the trim pouches on the tank strap but that's about the only thing i don't like on it. very comfy set up.

I talked to my LDS about it recently, as well, because the concept intrigued me... It seemed incredibly instinctual, since your hand normally sets right at the location of the lever, and it gets rid of the biggest dangly on the BC (the corrugated hose/inflator -- you'd think the DIR crowd would approve of that). The *only* downside I could see would be the equivalent of a stuck inflator (stuck lever), since it seemed a bit difficult to do a quick disconnect of the inflator hose, and an insta-buddy's lack of familiarity with it, should it become necessary.

As seems to be the case here, everyone I've talked to that owns one loves it. The i3 has been around a while, and has been slow to catch on (but so was the transition from double to single hose).
Never know... evolution can be a good thing... (although, evolution can be an *expensive* thing, too).

It seems to me that the i3 inflation system from Aqua Lung is way superior to the traditional inflater hose.
Superior in what way? The function of an inflator is to inflate and deflate the air cell, and thats it!! This is a solution to a problem that does not exist and introduces yet another thing to go wrong with your gear when underwater.

I would like to buy my first BC.
Ask yourself this question Arnold, are people who have been diving for years buying these type of "superior" inflators? If you go to any dive site or on a dive trip, you will notice the more experienced divers are all simplyfing their gear not complicating it.

Are there any disadvantages of the i3 system, I can't see any.
yes, loads!! Who is going to service it and for how much? If it fails or breaks on a dive trip how will you fix it or replace it? With a standard inflator you can replace it easily with a cable pull tie or take one of someone elses BC and use it.

Why do all the other manufacturers not switch to this system?
Exactly!!!

I think Mares were the first ones to introduce this type of inflater about 10 years ago on the Dragonfly BC and later on the infamous "HUB". I bought one of the dragonfly jackets and sold it on a year later. I have since been diving with the standard hose and inflator. These type of inflators are not evolution, they are just an excuse to increase sales with a new "product".

For what its worth Arnold, my advice is to buy a regular BC which is simple and easy to use and service.

i do believe you can put a standard inflator set up on the bc...i am waiting to hear if the i3 lever remains sealed without it being connected.

Superior in what way? The function of an inflator is to inflate and deflate the air cell, and thats it!! This is a solution to a problem that does not exist and introduces yet another thing to go wrong with your gear when underwater.
Ok... while I'm not a huge advocate (or detractor) of the i3 technology, some of this reasoning is just incredibly subjective.
The i3 isn't meant to be a "solution to a problem," simply another approach to a process. My personal (and I stress "personal") feeling is it's *much* simpler to pull a small lever, from a point your hand normally gravitates to, than to hold an inflator and corrugated hose over your head, in a very *unnatural* position, while ascending... Also, much simpler to pull or push that same lever to make micro-adjustments, than to play with two buttons juxtaposed from one another on an inflator. (And, yes, I make most of my micro-adjustments with breathing technique, however, the deflate and inflate buttons exist for a reason).

Ask yourself this question Arnold, are people who have been diving for years buying these type of "superior" inflators? If you go to any dive site or on a dive trip, you will notice the more experienced divers are all simplyfing their gear not complicating it.
Again, my *personal* feeling, is the i3 *is* simplifying it. Consider if the i3 lever came first... The corrugated hose and inflator would appear absolutely archaic, and cumbersome to those used to a much more streamlined, and simple, push-pull lever. People who have been diving for years have also migrated (albeit slowly) to personal preferences in fins (splits vs paddles); masks (dual lens, as opposed to the old single oval), neoprene (hyperstretch vs standard); computers (air-integrated vs separate spg); etc. Nothing wrong with simplify and streamline... but, evolution *is* inevitable in this industry.

yes, loads!! Who is going to service it and for how much? If it fails or breaks on a dive trip how will you fix it or replace it? With a standard inflator you can replace it easily with a cable pull tie or take one of someone elses BC and use it.
This is one area I agree with you -- for now. But, then, that used to be the argument against buying a foreign car, as well... (Neither the argument, nor the rationale behind it prevails forever).

I think Mares were the first ones to introduce this type of inflater about 10 years ago on the Dragonfly BC and later on the infamous "HUB". I bought one of the dragonfly jackets and sold it on a year later. I have since been diving with the standard hose and inflator. These type of inflators are not evolution, they are just an excuse to increase sales with a new "product".

For what its worth Arnold, my advice is to buy a regular BC which is simple and easy to use and service.
My advice, Arnold, is to buy whatever works for *you*... And, if there are 200,000 members on this board (guessing), you'll find 200,000 different gear configurations...

The whole issue about servicing and problems is a little moot. My sister has well over 500 dives on a pearl with an i3, and has had zero problems. As I understand it the innards are really nothing other than a stainless steel cable wired through the inside of the BC. To complement this I've had 4 stuck on inflator lines in all my dives. None of them resulted in a problem, but that is just because I am super-cool under pressure (yeah right). However, the i3 allows you to push the lever down, thus stopping the stuck inflation, while you disconnect the hose, allowing for a much safer situation.

Really the only major fault of the i3 is that your buddies may not know how to use it, and that is a very serious issue. If you own one, and are diving you should make dang sure your buddy knows how to use it. The other, minor issue, is that, yes, there are more moving parts. But then again the swivel on my Atomic has more moving parts, but you don't see people screaming and yelling about how Atomic Regs are junk because they have an extra part on them.

My 2 PSI.

Jeff

My only concern with it is that it isn't what is considered "standard" gear and that most divers aren't familiar with it. After taking Rescue and applying those skills twice to non-buddies, I really appreciate standard gear that I don't have to try to "figure out" in an emergency situation.

I would hate to think of having to rescue someone with air in their BC that I couldn't easily vent in an emergency situation and wind up with an uncontrolled ascent. Unfortunately, if I wasn't able to control the ascent, the hurt diver would wind up going up by themselves....bad news. :(

i think everyone is overthinking this i3 issue...if you dive with people that don't know you (or your gear) more than 80% than yes, it may be a problem. if you're a DM/Inst/etc., it is YOUR responsibility to make others aware of YOUR gear...if you dive with the same folks over and over....and over, they should begin to get it. outside of the is lever inflate, this is a top notch bcd IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom