LX5 housing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akhlut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just received an ikelite housing (6171.05) for my Panasonic LX5.
Very disappointed as some housing push buttons (menu,display,q.menu) do not line up with the camera buttons and several others only just.
Also camera is a very tight fit between the the 2 location pins on the base plate.
Housing going back for an ikelite replacement, hope that this problem is only with this unit.
I presume that Uk & US LX5 cameras are the same?

I am sorry that you have found the Ikelite housing to be unsatisfactory.

The pushbuttons will not line up directly over the top center of the camera's pushbuttons. However, (on the production housing I am looking at currently) they operate the camera's controls. When possible we space the pushbuttons out slightly on the back of the housing so that it provides easier operation when using gloves. In many cases they do not directly align with the center of the housing's control.

On your housing do the pushbuttons not engage the camera or are you only referring to their centering?

The camera must be a snug fit between the two pins front and back on the camera tray to prevent the camera from angling forward or backward in the case. This is mainly due to the fact that the camera's tripod mounting location is all the way to the side of the camera and not centered.

I cannot rule out a possibility that UK cameras are different from the US market version, though in most instances this is not the case. If your housing is not functional and you would be able to send your camera in we would be more than happy to check them together and repair or replace as necessary.

Regards,

Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Jean thanks for your reply.
The push buttons mentioned are not engaging with the camera buttons, they are approx 2mm from the button edge.
I have returned the housing back to my supplier and awaiting another ikelite replacement having used ikelite housings for several years without any issues.
I will upate this post on how the new housing lines up my camera.

I'm holding my order until this is resolved.

The issue with your housing should be able to be resolved quickly and effectively. We have not heard of problems with any other #6171.05 housings for the LX-5 (and D-LUX 5).

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

I need a definite closure on this issue before I can place my order. Has this issue been resolved?

Received replacement housing this morning

-the right navigation button is not aligned correctly (although closer than before) and can not be used.
-the rear dial knob push facility could not be used although on the last housing it worked, appears that at the end of the controller a small cube piece has become detached that was on the last housing but couldn't find this piece in the box, there is a small pin that protrudes slightly from the the controller metal end but not past the spongey material.
-if the aspect ratio switch is set to 1:1 it can not be reset to another aspect, again this was not an issue on the first housing.
Other than the above issues it looks and feels like a great robust bit of kit.
I have used Ikelite DSLR housings for several years without issue hence my reason for choosing them when downsizing.

I thought I'd post this here as although I'm an Ikelite dealer, I actually also sell the 10Bar and soon, Nauticam, housings for this camera. I don't have any particular ax to grind or promote, as I'm probably the only dealer for all 3 in the US.

I just tried the 4 Ike housings I have in stock with a new LX5 camera that I bought. s/n 16317, 18, 19, 20

Every single control works ok on all 4. Ike housings don't have the best controls, but these seem to work as good as any. And it's true they aren't lined up exactly, as there isn't room. But the controls seem to work ok.

One thing I've noticed about the Panasonic cameras is that they take a very light touch to actuate the controls and they don't always have the best dedents for say the mode control.

With a little practice, I don't think anyone would have any real problems. It's a decent housing for the money, and if you have Ike strobes, it's the only TTL option.

I'll post more thoughts on the differences between the Ike and 10Bar offerings soon.

Jack

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, Jack. Unfortunately without having the housing here it's very difficult to comment on what may be causing your control problems. We have re-checked our on hand inventory and have not found any malfunctioning controls within the lot. A few things to check on your case:

1. Tighten the camera securely to the tray using a coin or screwdriver.
2. Check that the zoom control is not pushing on the center of the zoom control, forcing the camera out of alignment.
3. Refer to page 5 of the instruction manual for information on use of the rear Dial Knob.

If you are close to London, you may stop into Cameras Underwater with the housing and camera and ask them to evaluate the issue. Otherwise we would appreciate the opportunity to look at the case ourselves and rectify any problems.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

thanks for the reply Jean...
the camera was securely fitted to the tray and the bottom of the camera was also flush with the tray. I refitted the camera several times wanting it to work as it should as I have an Ikelite strobe, but this made no difference...the camera did install a lot easier with this housnig than the previous one, being a more snug fit than a realy tight fit between the 2 tray positioning pins.
the zoom control was central, the problem was that the housing push button was not making any conctact with the camera button, i guess a larger tip would resolve that problem....all the other rear buttons worked fine on this housing.
I had read the instruction booklet and positioned the control as directed...on the previous housing the rear dial knob worked very well....however i noticed that on this housing the controller was slightly different - it was missing a small piece that was proud from the rest of the end that when aligned up with camera dial it would enable the dial to be depressed alowing the switch between shutter & apperture adjustment...I have attached a picture of this controller, can you confirm that this is the same as on the housings you have tested?

The serial number on this housing is 16427

78530687091a746b3b424b985d618993de4bd0d51807a66443a75d7f95fe9765c83691dd.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom