Nomad EXP... quick 2nd dive conversion to single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estaff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting ready to order my first sidemount rig: a Nomad EXP or XT (right now the $200 cost savings of the EXP seems to be swinging me that direction) paired up with twin AL80's and Apeks XTX-200 regs. I'm not going to be a caver, but I am going to be taking Tech Diving courses shortly. The extra-abrasion resistance of the XT really doesn't seem to be necessary for me.

My thought was to be able to come back after the 1st dive and do a quick conversion over to my single HP Steel 100 for a 2nd shallow dive.

Any advice on whether this is feasible with the Nomad EXP or XT, or which would be better to attempt this? I saw a single tank adapter for sale, but I woudn't want to be bolting and unbolting parts during a surface interval on a rocking boat.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
thanks guys- E.

There are 2 ways to convert the Nomad from sidemount to single cylinder - thread cam straps through the slots in the back of the Transpac or bolt already threaded STAs to the Transpac. Either is fairly easy and quick to do. STAs will provide you with more stability than just using the cam straps. Both rigs are similar enough that there's no difference in the conversion. Besides the wing material, the only difference is the EXP is a single piece with all the parts of the XT sewn together. If you have an issue with the wing or butt plate on the EXP, you must replace the entire rig. With the XT you can just replace that one component. There is another Nomad available that doesn't have the more durable material of the XT but is not sewn together like the EXP. It is closer in price to the EXP than the XT but offers the advantage of being able to replace a particular component. Cave Adventurers carries and sells those. Call Edd at 850-482-6016 and tell him Rob referred you.

Rob- thanks for the tip, sounds like the same rig my local dive shop was mentioning... called the Nomad basic I think. They also mentioned the benefits of a modular system where individual parts could be replaced, but they thought it was discontinued. I'll check with Cave Adventurers.
E.

Back
Top Bottom