Key Largo dive lessons for 10 and 14 yr old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robsmi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a good instructor for my 10 yr old boy and 14 yr old Girl. I am an avid diver, my wife fell of the dive scene years ago. I want the kids to have a very good first experience. Good vis, warm water, etc. I hope to also hook my wife again. Price is important but I do not want to save at the cost of bad experiences. Any Ideas who would have a Nice, Patent, Kind, well knowleged Instructor? Anybody to stay away from? I hope to make this happen in late May before the holiday weekend.

Jason at Conch Republic Divers.

Go to Ocean Divers and ask for Louis Crispino...He's great with the younger crowd

Joe

Well not too sure if you are looking only in Key Largo or up in GA but TheScubaGym out of central Florida specializes is working with Familys, Kids, and Special needs children. Contact TheScubaGym here on Scuba board or my self if this is something you may be interested in.

It is our goal to bring this sport to a family level and not have it as a one man gettaway anymore.

Happy Diving

Robsmi,
my thoughts to you certifying my youngest son back two years ago, as I had many great instructor options and one that has worked with children in a one and one or two as you will is the old saying KIS Keep It Simple!
Key Largo is great but if the wind's kick up the time your there,now add the nuances of a tight boat, lack of space and rocking and throw in maybe some marine life even thou they may drop you on some sand bay side there is always that chance,,,

I would opt to do all book and pool work at home and try to find a shop were the kid's can go to class VS this e-learn crap as a live instructor all be it you do see one thru e-learn eventually the one and one question and answers and hands on learning to me is paramount so make sure to find a great shop up your way! This way no surprises if ear clearing or other issues arise and this removes any pressure on a child to force themselves !!!

Now do a referral easy to be done, but think of if you drive down do Florida Spring country,several private springs come to mind are Blue Grotto or Devil's Den both out of Williston Fl, The young man whom did my son's certification is no longer at the shop but I would highly recommend Extreme Exposure out of High Springs as contact was great First class operation! or Bird's Underwater out of Crystal River is a Great operation also Highly recommended, and many other great local instructors can be found with a passion to dive and willing to work with children! in the Spring country area.
Great thing of the springs get to them early as you can! water will be Gin clear 72deg year round,so a 5-7MM suit will be great exposure protection and you will have proper rental gear from your shop up north so you know it fit's,your instructor can set you up no problem with tanks at the spring and cover entrance fees ect,, It's a relaxing environment between dives to talk,learn,relax, and dad you can even watch if your instructor allows you to but remember to let the instructor be the instructor!
Mask removal and replace is a hard one, with ear clearing the big one! with kid's and Adults.

Now after two days if the children certified head down to Largo get on a small boat that is going to do IN RANGE EASY REEF DIVES on a great weather day!
This is just my 2 cents as I am sure others may have better ideas,
Good luck!
By the way my now 12 Yo son is a great diver with diving Florida in the winter & lot's of pool time too, and summer's on our local waters on the Great Lakes as the waters warm every weekend!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom