Watch out for the boat ramp at Lobos right now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wanted to give everybody a heads up. We (me and Mykle/deadbilly) were at Lobos today, and the boat ramp is REALLY slippery right now - be especially careful at low tide.

I took a fairly gnarly spill on the way out after our dive, falling forward onto my chest. Everything would have been fine, except I pinned my light head between my chest and the concrete when I fell - OUCH. No major harm done to me, but not a pleasant experience (and I'm a little sore). While trying to get up, I brought Mykle down with me (he's okay too).

In case people are curious, the light was basically unscathed too. Fortunately it was my old "primary" (my new light is with Light Monkey at the moment), but yeah - totally fine. LED technology may have a ways to go to catch up with the 21w HID, but you can't beat the near indestructibility. :D

Oh yeah - the dive was actually pretty good. REALLY surgy, horrible vis in the cove, but nice vis at hole in the wall. Thanks to Sue/Rob and the fundies class for providing us with a nice downline, conveniently located right off the worm patch. :)

Unfortunately the ramp is not going to get cleaned much if at all unless someone steps up to clean it. The person who used to clean it has retired from the choir.

Many highly experienced divers have fallen there with a few broken bones. Be careful!

Man that stinks, glad you and the gear came out unscathed.

Yep, mostly. Still a bit sore in the area where the light head got between me and ramp, but otherwise fine. I'm hoping to be feeling fine by the time we get to enjoy some "lovely" conditions at the science camp on Thursday/Friday. :)

Brian dude, use a lot of padding :) , get well.

Brian dude, use a lot of padding :) , get well.

Apparently I have plenty of padding as it is. If it weren't for the light head getting in the way, I don't think I'd be feeling sore at all right now. :)

Ouch! Glad you're only black and blue. Advil and Martinis should do nicely for pain management...!

I've been thinking lately it looked kind green. I wonder how much work it would be to pressure wash it?

Add my name to those that have bailed on the ramp, too. With all kinds of important folks watching. Only thing injured was my pride, though, I got lucky.

All the best, James

It's a shame there's no video. I could get a zillion hits on youtube by speeding it up and putting it to the Benny Hill theme!

It's a shame there's no video. I could get a zillion hits on youtube by speeding it up and putting it to the Benny Hill theme!

I would actually like to see that. It felt like it happened really quickly with nice "legs flying up in the air" kinda vibe, so I think a slide-whistle sound effect would also fit nicely. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom