Weight belt with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have posted this question on the DIR subfourm and now I would like to hear opinions of the most people:

I would like to ask where do you put your weight belt with a DIR-styled BP/W? I found the BP/W buckle interferes with the WB buckle and the crotch strap would prevent the WB to be removed easily. I wear the WB first then BP/W.

The answer is no different than it was in the 1950s when there was a tank, 2 steel bands, and some cotton webbing just like Mike Nelson in the Sea Hunt TV program. Equipment configurations are much more varied but the bottom line is your last line of defense can be dropping 10-20 Lbs of lead… more is probably debatable.

The original solution was to put your belt on over your crotch strap, after donning your tank, which is a PIA in a heavily laden rig. Another valid procedure is to unclip your crotch strap, or don’t wear on at all, and then drop your belt. I have a rescue ring (lifts on the back centerline) and I don’t fall out of my harness without a crotch strap, but gear and body types differ enough to test before just ditching the strap. Then there are belts/harnesses that let you dump weight more like a BC. As long as you find a way to get rid of weight without panicking, you are golden.

You could put ditchable weight pockets on your waist straps and not have a seperate weight belt.

... I found the BP/W buckle interferes with the WB buckle and the crotch strap would prevent the WB to be removed easily. I wear the WB first then BP/W.
Just position the weight-belt buckle a little offset from the harness buckle. Neither one directly in the middle.:wink:

wear heavier tanks... In a drysuit with my two HP120's I don't need a weightbelt. This is with a transpac, not a hard plate... I sink naturally and tend to stay mostly squeezed. With AL tanks this is non optional, and I put the belt on over the crotch strap. Another option if you're dexterous enough and the tanks are short enough is to weave the crotch strap under the waist belt after you stand up, but that's a PITA

Depends on my configuration. Sometimes I don't need a weightbelt at all, I can put a few pounds in pouches on my tank straps.

If I do need one, I wear it UNDER the crotch strap (if I am using the crotch strap). As for the buckle, just push it to your left a little. My plate buckle sits towards the right so there is no interference.

With my HOG styled BP/W I put the weight belt under the crotch strap whether in a drysuit or a wetsuit. Loosing a weight could be serious at depth. Dropping it at the surface is not a big deal. Cut the waist strap loose, then the weight belt, and away it falls "at the surface". With a balanced rig there is no reason to ditch underwater, plus I always carry an SMB of some kind for added lift.

The weight belt buckle is centered. Waist strap buckle is further to the right, almost up against the buckle holding my can light.

With my HOG styled BP/W I put the weight belt under the crotch strap whether in a drysuit or a wetsuit. Loosing a weight could be serious at depth. Dropping it at the surface is not a big deal. Cut the waist strap loose, then the weight belt, and away it falls "at the surface". With a balanced rig there is no reason to ditch underwater, plus I always carry an SMB of some kind for added lift.

The weight belt buckle is centered. Waist strap buckle is further to the right, almost up against the buckle holding my can light.
Me, too.

Weight belt under. Both weight belt and BP waist belt are right hand release.

All the best, James

If I were to have to ditch the weight belt then my procedure would be to pop the waist belt, pull it apart far enough for the crotch strap to be freed up. Then pop the weight belt bickle, hold it far from my body and drop it.

However, I dive most of the time without a weight belt because my rig is balanced. The few times I had to use the weight belt was when I had to use aluminum rental tanks.

Like everything else, practice, practice, practice.

Back
Top Bottom