new jersey wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillybob

Contributor
Reaction score
doesn't anyone dive the wrecks off jersey ? there are hundreds of challenging wrecks , good for artifacts and hunting (spear fishing , lobsters mussels )

I sure as heck do. Year round if the seas cooperate.

Isabel has screwed up with the vis a bit, but the bottom temp has warmed up 15 degrees!

phillybob once bubbled...
doesn't anyone dive the wrecks off jersey ? there are hundreds of challenging wrecks , good for artifacts and hunting (spear fishing , lobsters mussels )

how bad was the viz ? . i'm thinking of going out 9/27 but don't want to if it's gonna be pea soup

I wouldn't call it pea soup, maybe a nice chicken broth....

Was out on the Resor for two dives this past Saturday and we had only 10' on the wreck, but the dive was still enjoyable as we loaded up on 20+ bugs and several dozen scallops.

Sunday, we had 10-15' on the Lana Carol....less on the sand. Looks like the wheelhouse partially collapsed recently, maybe due to the storm. Second dive was on the Mohawk and the vis averaged between 2' and 8' with heavy sediment in the water column at depth.

Hopefully the vis has cleared up some by this weekend!

I'd take the chance, especially with the warm water.

What is the temperature at depth out there this time of year?

sigh.
Would you believe I still have yet to see a Jersey wreck? I keep thinking I will soon, then I read this email I wrote to my friend after my last attempt:
--------
>>OK, you survived a Jersey dive; so what's next?
Did you like it? Could you see? and did you see
anything?

>>Did I see anything? No.
Did I like it? No.
Did I survive? No.

I'll answer a few more questions that I know you are just dying to ask:

Did I barf for seven hours straight, then for another 24 hours after I got off the boat, despite wearing the "Patch"?
Yes.
Did I lose both contact lenses from the actual force of dry-heaving over the side of the boat?
Yes.
Did I actually get to dive, despite spending all that money on tank rentals with custom Nitrox fills and passage on the boat, and after dragging all of that stuff down to Point Pleasant?
No.
Not even once, for a second?
No.
Not even for a small taste of salt water?
No.
Did I manage to get my gear on?
Yes. All of it.
Did I pass out wearing a full 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves, mask, fins, and a tank with pony bottle?
Yes.
Do I know what it feels like to wralph over the rail of the boat while wearing a full 7mm wetsuit, mask, tanks and fins?
Yes.
Did any of the cute men on the dive boat hit on me?
Yes.
Did any of the cute men on the dive boat hit on me after I started puking?
No.
Did one of the cute men offer me a ham and cheese sandwich during my puking session?
Yes.
Did I want to throw all of his gear overboard?
Yes. Oh, yes, indeed.

Let's just say I think I will stick to beach-based dives from now on. I am truly handicapped. I think I need inner ear transplants or something. Ed and Mark said hanging on the anchor line was like being in green Jell-o, so I guess I didn't miss a whole lot. Nobody could see anything anyhow.

S

sue, i'm still laughing.
ur very funny.
maybe try it again one more time.
maybe with your scubaboard buddies.

mwilding once bubbled...
What is the temperature at depth out there this time of year?

Like I said above, as of last weekend, the temp was pretty good surface to bottom (130'). It was in the mid 60's.

Up until 2 weeks ago, it was 50F at depth with a thermocline or two on the way down.

SueMermaid once bubbled...

Let's just say I think I will stick to beach-based dives from now on. I am truly handicapped. I think I need inner ear transplants or something. Ed and Mark said hanging on the anchor line was like being in green Jell-o, so I guess I didn't miss a whole lot. Nobody could see anything anyhow.
S

My Dearest Sue,

I can sympathize with your bad experience. I work on one of the Pt. Pleasant dive boats and have seen many a person have a pretty bad day diving or trying to do so.

If I may ask, which diveboat did you go out on?

Granted, there are bad days (vis, seas, etc...) out on the ocean, but a good majority of the days are phenomenal. I have the pics to prove it, both above and below the water.

As for ralphing for 24 hours after getting off the boat? I've never heard of that. Maybe you had a reaction to the patch. I don't take any medicine anymore after it made me sick as a dog.

I would hope you give NJ diving another try!

p.s. Everyone, just for the record: I have never offered anyone a ham and cheese sandwich. Turkey and cheese on occasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom