Hollis Line Cutter anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howler93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks,

I'd like to get a dive knife that's not too expensive, but wont rust out too easily either. And since my fiance/dive buddy is prone to cutting herself with regular knives :shocked2:, I thought this might make a great first dive knife. The Hollis Line Cutting Tool Hollis Gear: TItanium Line Cutter

Any thoughts? Anyone used these before or care to share any experiences? Thanks in advance,

Howler :D

You're right...the Hollis does look like the OMS, only larger and more substantial perhaps? I've heard lots of recommendations for shears vs. knives on these boards....and I thought a tool like this might be the ideal. ANy thoughts on the ideal tool for rec divers who just want to have a handy tool that will be reliable, safe, and effective? Perhaps a blunt tipped knife would be best?

The OMS is a favourite, wouldn't dive without. Carry shears as well. No one ideal tool. Knives are over rated.

You're right...the Hollis does look like the OMS, only larger and more substantial perhaps?

It's the same, with some extra/bigger holes

Shears or a line cutter would be my choice in the circumstances you describe. Personally I wouldn't get the OMS/Hollis one, too expensive. Get 'disposable' EMT shears or a replacable-blade line cutter. My dive knives I've used more above water than below.

Looks like the OMS line cutter.
Have you seen the Trilobite?
YouTube - EEZYCUT demonstration

+1 for the Trilobite from EEZYCUT. Easy to use, replaceable blades, nice sheath with velcro secure strip.

+1 for the Trilobite from EEZYCUT. Easy to use, replaceable blades, nice sheath with velcro secure strip.

EEZYCUT at www.DiveSeekers.com

Haven't yet found anything it can't cut...

EEZYCUT.jpg

:shocked2:

The OMS is a favourite, wouldn't dive without...

I am not satisfied with the OMS Titanium Z-knife at all. I worked on the cutting edge with diamond hones for 15 minutes and still couldn’t get it to cut nearly as well as a $3 single blade Z-knife. I think it would be a much more effective tool if the top of the cutting edge were not rounded. The knife I describe below cuts better than anything I have ever tried.

Carbon fiber, opposing double replaceable stainless steel blades, easy to handle with gloves, made in Sweden. Looks like the same as OxyCheq sells but at a much better price and they sell the spare blades.
Scroll down to Item K13505

ParaGear.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom