looking for hotel recommendation in florida keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phinnymoose

Registered
Reaction score
We are going down to the Keys for a couple of weeks-plan to dive up and down and all over. Can anyone recommend a place/places to stay? Are there any reasonable dive hotels that offer dive packages if staying there? Also any rec's regarding where to rent a BCD, reg, weights and tanks? (Ve've never been to the Keys before).
Thanks!

Hi there

I've been down there twice this winter so far and both times I dove with Silent World. The arranged accommodations at the "Keys Inn" I think. $80 a night, it was clean, two levels, had a kitchen and is right across from Sharkey's Pub. Worth checking out for sure.

For the amount of time I was in the room I didn't think spending $150 a night was worth it.

Great diving all over the Keys... some stellar stuff off key west too but hotels there are pricey... suggest you look these folks up.

Silent World Dive Center speak to Chris Brown

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS " COME SEE WHY WE'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER DIVE SHOP" speak to Gary Mace

and if you do make it to KW contact Frank Wasson who owns and operates MV Spree a really neat dive boat that visits all the good wrecks down there and who does take walk ons occasionally
Spree Expeditions M/V Spree SCUBA Diving Dry Tortugas, Flower Garden Banks, USS Oriskany

Try the Hungry Pelican in key largo, the rooms are small, but who wants to spend time in their room when in the keys. I stayed in the gator and wouldn't recommend anything smaller. There's a small beach, pier, a tiki hut and grills for the guest use.

Hungry Pelican - Key Largo Vacation Cottages, Florida Keys Vacation it has rates and the layout of the cottages

Check out Amoray Dive Resort. I think they have exactly what you are looking for. My local dive shop uses them for their trips to Key Largo. Amoray Home Page

Most dive shops including myself have better than advertised rates with hotels in the areas they dive. So depending on what kind of amenities you'd like could affect the price. Also the time of the year can vary the lodging prices tremendously. I'd avoid spring break for instance as the hotels usually double their lodging rates during those times.

My advise is to call or email a few shops letting them know what you'd like to do and then pick from your experience with them.

If I can answer anymore questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Good Diving,

Try the Hungry Pelican in key largo, the rooms are small, but who wants to spend time in their room when in the keys. I stayed in the gator and wouldn't recommend anything smaller. There's a small beach, pier, a tiki hut and grills for the guest use.
The other nice thing about the Hungry Pelican is that they don't mind if you string a clothesline and leave dive gear hanging everywhere. Lots of "character" to both the Hungry Pelican and the similar place next door -- Sunset Cove.

I like the place for my solo trips to the Keys, but I'd never stay there with my wife as she doesn't appreciate the "character" of beat up old motels/cabins.

------------------

For more traditional hotel/motel accommodations, there are also the Holiday Inn and the Marina Del Mar resort. Both are right at the MM100 marina with a wide choice of dive operators at your doorstep.

I would check vrbo.com. we stay in houses for less than hotels!

Thank you all so much for the info and links. We will be diving up and down the Keys so I will check out all these leads.

Bottoms up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom