Nomad XT vs EXP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I want to get into side mount diving and I am looking at purchasing a Nomad. I understand that the XT is modular and if I understand correctly it is made from a more durable material. I will be diving open water only. I am wondering if I really need the XT. The EXP is almost 180 cheaper. I dont mind getting the XT if its worth the money but I also do want to get the XT if the EXP will work just as well for the type of diving I will be doing. Also I will be diving in a drysuit but I am in the Army and if I was to move somewhere new I may want to dive in a wetsuit. Is the dubble bladder worth it? Can I just add it on later if I need it? Will a lift bag suffice if I choose to dive in a wetsuit? I belive the XT has the capability to adjust the amount of lift it has, can the EXP do the same? Thanks.

they both are bungeed so you can adjust it but it's really not that necessary. You can always add the double bladder no worries, but lift bag will suffice in a failure.
Call Edd at Cave Adventurers and ask about the explorer or original or whatever it is. I like it better than the EXP and it's much cheaper than the XT, and should be around the same price as the EXP. Maybe a bit more, but worth it in case you puncture a wing

Unfortunately, most shops only carry the XT or the EXP. I second saxplayer's suggestion. Call Edd at Cave Adventurers, 850-482-6016. He carries the original Nomad. It's modular and uses the same material as the EXP so it costs less than the XT. Tell him Rob told you to call.

You can change to a dual bladder later on, however, that requires a completely different wing. It's not just a matter of adding it on. This can only be done with the XT or original. You cannot do this with the EXP since it's not modular. A lift bag can work for redundant buoyancy in a wet suit, but it's not something you should just rely on without practice. It's not an easy skill and wouldn't be one you want to try when you really need it.

Greetings DUI_Diver I chose the modular system because it allowed a more custom fit for me 5'10 than the EXP.
I have a friend who purchased the EXP and he has lamented that he did not go with the modular system.
Both will do the job but the modular is more adjustable just no debating that fact.

One thing about the XT is that the wing can be folded to produce less lift thus cleaner for smaller tanks or AL 80s.
It also can be opened back up to accommodate large tanks.
One feature that I do really like on the XT.

For me personally I like tougher gear which I translate into wearing longer being more durable under non planned conditions.
I do cave dive and OW dive as well so I use the modular system in both environments.
Ed , Rob Neto, can get you set up in a heart beat and diving it properly to.
There are many who can sell it to you but I would recommend choosing someone who will not only set you up correctly but get you diving it correctly as well.
In the long run you will save $$$$ and time.

There is nothing more irritating than struggling with a rig and not knowing what to do!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I want to get into side mount diving and I am looking at purchasing a Nomad. I understand that the XT is modular and if I understand correctly it is made from a more durable material. I will be diving open water only. I am wondering if I really need the XT. The EXP is almost 180 cheaper.
I am not aware that the basic harness and webbing used in the EXP and the XT is made of different material. It was my understanding that the exterior cover on the wing supplied with the XT is supposedly made of more durable fabric, but that was the extent of the difference. If you are diving OW SM - no caves, no tight spaces, no wreck penetration, that is probably not an issue, or necessary feature.
I dont mind getting the XT if its worth the money but I also do want to get the XT if the EXP will work just as well for the type of diving I will be doing.
I echo CamG's comment - having a modular system is generally a better option, even if somewhat more expensive. And, it appears from Dive-aholic's post that you may be able to link up with a shop that can help you go 'modular' at a reasonable cost. One other option that you might consider - you can probably buy, on eBay or Craigslist, a used Transpac harness and a used wing of appropriate lift, then buy a new buttplate and some bungees, and configure a sidemount rig, probably for less than a new XT. If you have access to some experienced SM divers or instructors where you are now, they may be able to help you. You can actually add wing keepers to the wing casing in many cases (if you are careful not to damage the bladder).
Also I will be diving in a drysuit but I am in the Army and if I was to move somewhere new I may want to dive in a wetsuit. Is the dubble bladder worth it? Can I just add it on later if I need it?
For the diving you describe (mostly drysuit, possibly some wetsuit, sidemount), a dual bladder may not be necessary. I do not have a problem sidemounting two AL80s in a wetsuit without a dual bladder, or two HP100s for that matter. I can swim them to the surface. Plus, if absolutely necessary you can ditch your weight belt (if you require added weight in a westuit with two AL80s), and even ditch one tank for that matter. (If you watch some of Steve Bogaerts' videos - gosidemount.com - he dives two AL80s in a wetsuit and only a small hydration bladder for lift.) A dual bladder wing is considerably more expensive. As Dive-aholic mentioned, you cannot just add a bladder to an existing wing. You generally have to purchase a different, dual bladder, wing. One caveat, though - Dive Rite's web site actually says that a single bladder Rec Wing (and a single bladder Classic Wing) can be altered 'later' to create a dual bladder wing. Far be it from me to question the producer, I just wasn't aware that this was possible, or practical.
Will a lift bag suffice if I choose to dive in a wetsuit?
Yes, but I agree with Dive-aholic - it is not ideal to depend on the use of a lift bag as a redundant buoyancy source, without (considerable) prior practice. It is an acquired skill. And, it is a skill well worth practicing. But, if you plan to sidemount double HP 130s (or LP112s) in a wetsuit, for example, you mgiht just want to have a dual bladder wing.
I believe the XT has the capability to adjust the amount of lift it has, can the EXP do the same?
Yes, using the gusset control system. Where others may help you more than I can is with the wing keepers. On the original and the XT, you can slip the wing keepers off the waist strap to gain some additional lift. I am not altogether certain if if you can do that with the EXP - I presume you can but am ready to be corrected if I am wrong.

Last edited:
You don't want to take those wing keepers out... You can slide them farther back which will allow them to come up more, but you don't want to take them out is the wing will taco like no other. It's a rather wide wing...
The new Nomad wings have attachment points already for the dual bladder options so they just punch the holes out and put the new bladder in, no worries. You should be able to swim your gear to the surface though otherwise you are too heavy. I have seen people tread water at the surface in a wetsuit with double 130's. In open water, I'd take one tank and clip it to a lift bag and shoot it to the surface and come up on the other one. Takes some practice, but it's doable. In a cave you can clip one to the line and come out or just crawl out. Neither are a big deal really, just a minor inconvenience

CamG:
One thing about the XT is that the wing can be folded to produce less lift thus cleaner for smaller tanks or AL 80s. also can be opened back up to accommodate large tanks. ne feature that I do really like on the XT.

This can be done with all the Nomads.

Colliam7:
One other option that you might consider -you can probably buy, on eBay or Craigslist, a used Transpac har used wing of appropriate lift, then buy a new buttplate and some bungees, and configure a sidemount rig, probab than a new XT.

Not all wings are suitable for SM. The key to SM wings is the tabs to hold them to the harness.

saxplayer1004:
...but it's do to the line and come out or just crawl out. Neither are a big deal really, just a minor inconvenience.

Really?? Crawl out?? Not only is that unsafe and will likely get someone killed, but it also does nothing to protect the cave. I'd really hate to have to crawl out from 1000' in a cave, never mind a couple thousand. Being prepared for failures is the key, not crawling out of a cave.

Really?? Crawl out?? Not only is that unsafe and will likely get someone killed, but it also does nothing to protect the cave. I'd really hate to have to crawl out from 1000' in a cave, never mind a couple thousand. Being prepared for failures is the key, not crawling out of a cave.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but worst case scenario. In my cave class we did a simulated BC failure and I clipped one of my tanks off on the line and came out fine. Lost redundancy on the tank, and it's not ideal, but for the few times I ever dive with a wetsuit I couldn't justify the dual bladder wing. With a drysuit it's much easier. If I was diving mostly wet, then I'd consider the dual bladder. Total BC failure is rare though and you can hold some air somewhere in most bc's when they fail.
I do mostly wrecks and one of the things we've done for our scooters is custom sew lift bags that strap along the side of the scooters. If I was diving wet in a cave, I'd just carry one of those and could strap it to a tank or under the nomad. Would get me enough lift to come out. Not fun, but diving dry seems to be the easiest solution for me...

Thanks for everyones response. Seems like the XT is the way to go and double bladder may be better but not requiered. I have one more question though. Right now I dive a single AL80 with 32LBS when diving dry. If I added another AL80 when I start side mount should I expect to take some wieght off my belt? Anyone have any opinions about the wieght pouch that mounts to the back of the nomad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom