Leaky inflator button?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jl_va_21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I noticed something on a recent dive trip that I think means my BC needs some maintenance - tell me if you know about this.

It was somewhat in hindsight that I thought about two things that I realize now are probably related.

1. I noticed on a couple dives that I would pretty much empty out my BC at the beginning to sink and be neutral but even when it seemed empty I'd still occasionally need to let out a little more air. Toward the end of the dives when the tank is lighter I'd maybe start being a little positive and somehow still had air in there that I could let out to get neutral again.

2. After one dive on the boat trip back I noticed I had some air in my BC still so I let it out. I later noticed that it still seemed pretty inflated and that I must have missed some and deflated it again. Finally getting close to shore I noticed it fully inflated and it finally occurred to me that I forgot to turn off the tank valve. It was inflating itself.

So in summary, its seems that my BC lets air slowly inflate it. To some extent this might just be something that happens slowly, but seems like it is probably not ideal. My guess is that this should not happen - and that I probably need some work on my inflator.

What do you all think?

inflator needs to be rebuilt. Couple of O-rings no big deal. Call northeast scuba supply, they have all the stuff to do it, or your local repair tech can fix em

Probably a bit of sand or salt crystal in the inflator valve. Usually, if you rinse out you bcd, and work the valve button, as you let the water run through it, this will solve the issue.

I have had this happen on a dive, and simply disconnected the low pressure hose, which stopped the continual although gradual inflation that was impacting my buoyancy.

You can also easily disassemble most valves, and rinse them out if the first method does not work for you.

As Sazplayer stated the valve can be rebuilt, but before I did that I would try cleaning out any grit that may have worked its way in. This is a very common occurrence, and usually rinsing it out well will correct the problem.

Jim, just get rid of the useless thing, mine does not leak at all :)

Odds are it's just dirty or needs a replacement part or 2. If it's salt, you can rinse the BC a few times with warm water, add more water, orally inflate it some then squeeze the BC with the hose down, while holding the power inflator button. This forces water back through the valve and washes out any salt or grit. It that does not do it, a rebuild is in order.

Jim, just get rid of the useless thing, mine does not leak at all :)

Odds are it's just dirty or needs a replacement part or 2. If it's salt, you can rinse the BC a few times with warm water, add more water, orally inflate it some then squeeze the BC with the hose down, while holding the power inflator button. This forces water back through the valve and washes out any salt or grit. It that does not do it, a rebuild is in order.

On Bonaire I know you dive w/o any BCD! :wink:

but what about NC ocean dives, which by the way Morgan and Melissa still are pushing me for!

Not in NC, I usually go full modern here. Being so far off shore I like the floatation, drifting at sea is always a possibility so I want all the help I can take with me. The offer is still good anytime.

If the problem is salt crystals jamming up the works, then soaking in vinegar may help.

On most BCDs you can manually unscrew the corrugated hose from the BCD, and then it is easier to flush out the inflator via both the BC end of the corrugated hose and also from the oral inflate mouthpiece.

An runaway ascent caused by a defective inflator could be dangerous, so if you have doubts about the inflator, get it professionally reworked or almost as cheap, swap it out for a new one. The inflator button should have a nice crisp feel to the action, without any hint of binding or sticking.

Inflators are not difficult to service. Deep Sea Supply makes a really nifty tool that makes light work of the difficult parts.

However, you have to be very careful about pulling the o-rings out, because it is easy to damage the soft brass of the mechanism, and then you will have a permanent leak. This is particularly true for the very small o-rings on the piston mechanism that is actuated by the power inflate button.

Even with great care, you usually only get a couple of rebuilds on them before they have to be replaced. You do not have to buy the entire corrugated hose assembly. Trident makes the inflator modules by themselves, and it takes only one or two minutes to swap them out.

(Please do understand that all of the above is for standard inflators. Air2s and the like are beyond my ken.)

Not in NC, I usually go full modern here. Being so far off shore I like the floatation, drifting at sea is always a possibility so I want all the help I can take with me. The offer is still good anytime.

:popcorn: Sorta had that figured out all on my own. :rofl3:

I'll drop you a PM. Maybe sometime this summer. Morgan graduates in June, and plans on entering the USAF soon, so our time for diving together is drawing short.

Back
Top Bottom