New tropical BC or new plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Av06

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I just found out that I am going to have the opportunity to live in Kosrae, Micronesia for a year and am excited about all the diving. I am from Oregon, so when I bought my set up I bought a DSS 30ish lb wing with a SS backplate and a OMS comfort harness. I have used it both in the San Juans and on a few trips to tropical places and enjoyed it.

My question now is whether I should buy a new travel/tropical oriented BC or just get a new backplate? Would I notice the difference going from SS to Al enough to justify spending 100 bucks? I was looking at the Oxy travel plate that is just fabric but I don't think that it will work with my DSS wing? Is there anything else similar to that, a nice soft light backplate that I wouldn't mind diving with in a thin exposure suit?

Thanks for any thoughts

Transpac works well for me. If you really want it stripped down you can pull all the padding off of it, but I don't think it's worth it... The oxycheq soft plates are nice, but why not just bring your current plate?

new BC------1 will never do.....

Why would you change? A SS BP is the perfect offset for the bouyancy of an empty aluminum tank.

Why would you change? A SS BP is the perfect offset for the buoyancy of an empty aluminum tank.

+1 I dive SS BP/W, no STA. In salt water I am 8# lead with AL80 and 2# with steel HP120. I love the stability of the BP.

Save the money and take your current BP.

I have both an Al and SS plate. I use the Al with high capacity steel tanks and the SS with Al tanks. Works great.

Hello, I just found out that I am going to have the opportunity to live in Kosrae, Micronesia for a year and am excited about all the diving. I am from Oregon, so when I bought my set up I bought a DSS 30ish lb wing with a SS backplate and a OMS comfort harness. I have used it both in the San Juans and on a few trips to tropical places and enjoyed it.

My question now is whether I should buy a new travel/tropical oriented BC or just get a new backplate? Would I notice the difference going from SS to Al enough to justify spending 100 bucks? I was looking at the Oxy travel plate that is just fabric but I don't think that it will work with my DSS wing? Is there anything else similar to that, a nice soft light backplate that I wouldn't mind diving with in a thin exposure suit?

Thanks for any thoughts

Option 1: Take the gear you have. Should work OK

Option 2: Keep the plate you have and get a smaller wing.

Tobin

If your spending a year living there your probably going to be diving a lot, would a light weight "travel" BCD take a year of hard diving, I'd keep the BP + wing, if weight is a problem get an Ali BP if not keep the SS.

It probably won't be an issue but if you are worried about comfort with a thin exposure suit (or even just a t-shirt) then get a comfort pad thingy.

It is true that when I was in Belize in a 3 mil full wetsuit the weight was about right. I just wasn't sure if I wanted the bulk of the SS to lug around the island, go shore diving with, etc. Now that you guys are saying it though, I guess it doesn't make sense to change, maybe I will look into getting a pad so I could dive in a tshirt and not worry about it. Any suggestions for a pad that would attach right to the DSS plate?

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom