Diving in Destin on Memorial Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowyorang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone!
My Dad and I are planning a little trip to Destin on Memorial Day weekend to do a little diving.
This will be my first time diving in much more than 15ft vis. so I am a little excited about it.
I believe we will be diving with Emerald Coast Scuba. Anyone had any experience with them?
I am also thinking of getting my nitrox course out of the way before I go if it will benefit me on the dives. What do you think?
Any tips or advice for the trip or destination is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Nitrox is not necessary for Destin diving....but it is certainly worth using if you have the ability. It will generally get you in the water faster for your second dive. Hopefully the vis will be better then 15 feet, but the Gulf changes rapidly so you could get anywhere from 5 feet - 100 feet vis.

I have not dove with Emerald Coast so can't help you there. I am local and Emerald Coast's reputation in this area is good. Most of the folks I dive with use Scuba Tech in Destin. They are a good outfit and run a nice boat. I think either shop will treat you well.

If you have not done much Gulf diving then anything will be new, so you should have a good time. The main complaint people have with Destin dive shops, is that they generally only go to close sights like the Miss Louise and Bridge rubble. But if you haven't been to those locations, they are worth going at least once.

Hope you have a good trip.

Hi everyone!
My Dad and I are planning a little trip to Destin on Memorial Day weekend to do a little diving.
This will be my first time diving in much more than 15ft vis. so I am a little excited about it.
I believe we will be diving with Emerald Coast Scuba. Anyone had any experience with them?
I am also thinking of getting my nitrox course out of the way before I go if it will benefit me on the dives. What do you think?
Any tips or advice for the trip or destination is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Nitrox is not necessary for Destin diving....but it is certainly worth using if you have the ability. It will generally get you in the water faster for your second dive. Hopefully the vis will be better then 15 feet, but the Gulf changes rapidly so you could get anywhere from 5 feet - 100 feet vis.

I have not dove with Emerald Coast so can't help you there. I am local and Emerald Coast's reputation in this area is good. Most of the folks I dive with use Scuba Tech in Destin. They are a good outfit and run a nice boat. I think either shop will treat you well.

If you have not done much Gulf diving then anything will be new, so you should have a good time. The main complaint people have with Destin dive shops, is that they generally only go to close sights like the Miss Louise and Bridge rubble. But if you haven't been to those locations, they are worth going at least once.

Hope you have a good trip.

Thanks,
I am really hoping to have a good time. I don't know anything about gulf diving. Just some here in the local lakes.
We will have 2 days to dive, so maybe we can try both outfits. I wonder if they usually go to the same spots....
I also see that Emerald offers a night dive. I know my Dad won't be interested in going to that, but I am hoping for good vis and hopefully they have an extra diver that night for a buddy cuz that is something else that I would LOVE to try!

Back
Top Bottom