Reasons for quiting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to diving, actually will be finishing my OW course this weekend.

Many of my friends have been diving for years and although I have been a water rat all my life I never thought of diving until my friends convinced me to. So far I love it and I can not see myself quiting.

My question: I have heard many stories and occasionally have read on this board and others that a significant number of divers get OW certified at home, make one trip and then never dive again.

What would some of the reasons for this be?

Scott M

P.S. Great discussion board, lots of useful tips and info.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Also, I guess diving in, for example, the UK might not be what they expected (Personally I love it). They may not have time, may not have contacts to dive with at home, or maybe just had a bad experience

Gareth

I have seen several divers hang up their fins and it is usually because of one of three reasons...

1. Didn't buy gear up front which made going diving inconvienient and expensive.

2. SO doesn't dive and wants your time spent else where.

3. A bad experience that scares the diver and a personality that keeps them from "getting back on the horse".

Number 1 is the primary reason though...

Another common reason is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:eek:ut:

Other reasons:
Someone who has a panic attack on their first dive...
Close encounter with a shark...
Dove with a crappy "cattle boat" operation and got soured on the experience...
Cold water is too..... cold
Don't like the Darth Vader breathing noises (my fiance's reason for not diving...)

I stopped diving in 1975, 13 years after I started, because I saw the movie "Jaws." I started diving again about two years later after seeing the movie "Jaws II."

Dr. Bill

Im in the UK and from what i can gather an yearly intake of 10 maybe 4 will still be diving locally the following year.

Ive seen people quit during the process of learning in the pool and more quite after a few dodgy open water experiences during learning - those would have already spent a large amount of money on full kit and end up selling it for 30% of its value second hand shortly after.

Im not sure here at least people are quite aware of what it involves both money and time wise and the conditions that we dive in. People who saw pretty fish on a try dive abroad, decide to learn at home then jump in the north sea are in for a culture shock.

One of the most beautiful sights that I have ever seen underwater was a shark gliding by me. I'll tell you there would be a lot less shark hunting if there were more divers.

Actually, I would that it is a close tie why people quit. Lack of time and/or money is one and a scary experience underwater (like when I got narced on my first cold, deep dive and had trouble reading my gauges. I wasn't in trouble, but I had an instinct telling me to shoot to the surface. I was well trained enough to ignore it, but still....) would be the other.

As to a SO telling me not to dive, I am a diver now. I would hope that she (whoever she will be) accepts or possibly shares that part of me or she won't be my significant other for very long!

My friend Christina was certified in Moorehead City, NC, right before a hurricane, and was made to do her skills while hanging on a boucing anchor line. She was battered, bruised, and puking the whole time. It was such a bad experience, she never went diving again, ever. Neither did three of the five other people in her class.

There are several shops around me that don't advocate local diving. They certify many people but afterwards tell them their isn't any good diving around and they need to go to the Carribean or Florida. Now new divers are faced with a dilema, shell out a couple thousand for gear and another couple thousand for a trip to Cayman or find a different hobby. Personally, I think many of the shops are shooting themselves in the foot.

mwilding once bubbled...
Another common reason is:

Don't like the Darth Vader breathing noises

Which is precisely why I like diving :)

Use the forced air Luke!

Dom

Back
Top Bottom