Is it legal to scuba with Manatees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to scuba dive with Manatees. I was thinking of doing this at Crystal River Florida. However I can only find snorkelling and swimming with Manatees. Is it possible that we are not allowed to dive with them?

It is illegal in the state of Florida to dive with manatees. If caught you will be heavily fined. They don't like the bubbles anyway. They're more likely to hang out with you when you're on snorkel. Crystal River is also not very deep and not worth scuba diving.

American Pro has a good morning trip. You start by snorkling with the manatees for an hour or so. Then you get back on the boat and don your scuba gear. There is a cave about 50 feet deep right below where that manatees were. It was a good one-tank dive. American Pro also has a PADI manatee specialty class for about $35. It was somewhat a gimmick, but very educational (manatee rib bones are solid and heavy). Boat propellers aren't nearly as harmful as the boats actually hitting and shattering their rib bones.

Manatee Tour Crystal River or Homosassa

166893_1823055661840_1403684418_32020247_2038948_n.jpg

Is that true, Rob? I had a friend go down to FL to do a (O2) CCR class and I could swear he said he went diving with them. He did mention it was absolutely illegal to approach them, but that if they came over to you, it was ok to stay.

It is illegal in the state of Florida to dive with manatees. If caught you will be heavily fined. They don't like the bubbles anyway. They're more likely to hang out with you when you're on snorkel. Crystal River is also not very deep and not worth scuba diving.
I'm in Atlanta, not northern Fla., however, I'm at a loss to understand this. They make this *diving* trip all the time:

https://www.seaventures.com/travel/crystal-river-manatee-trip

I'm in Atlanta, not northern Fla., however, I'm at a loss to understand this. They make this *diving* trip all the time:

https://www.seaventures.com/travel/crystal-river-manatee-trip

It is probably like the dive I mentioned above. The manatee part is only snorkling; but the rest is scuba. I don't think there is ever any manatees at Devils Den or Blue Grotto. The cave I dove at in Crystal River just happened to be right underneath the manatees. The guide did mention not to approach the manatees with scuba gear on, but if they swam up to you...that was ok.

It is probably like the dive I mentioned above. The manatee part is only snorkling; but the rest is scuba. I don't think there is ever any manatees at Devils Den or Blue Grotto. The cave I dove at in Crystal River just happened to be right underneath the manatees. The guide did mention not to approach the manatees with scuba gear on, but if they swam up to you...that was ok.
Perhaps.

That's my LDS... I haven't been on that trip (for the reasons Dive-aholic mentions as it's more of a snorkeling depth), however, I'm pretty sure I recall them talking about it being a boat *dive*.

Maybe I've just been breathing too much 36%...

Snorkeling with them is awesome! Everyone should do it once.

Go with Birds Underwater though. Bird's Underwater Manatee Tours - BOOK ONLINE! The owner was my cave diving instructor and he is awesome. American Pro sucks!

Here are some pics from when I took the family out with Bird's in January:

Manatee Snorkeling Tour with Bird's Underwater

Oh, and the bubbles from scuba scare the manatees away. Just use snorkel gear, float on the water and they will come right up to you. The early morning trip is the best and you need to get in there quick before it starts to warm up too much. The manatees only hang out in the springs in the winter.

American Pro has a good morning trip. You start by snorkling with the manatees for an hour or so. Then you get back on the boat and don your scuba gear. There is a cave about 50 feet deep right below where that manatees were. It was a good one-tank dive. American Pro also has a PADI manatee specialty class for about $35. It was somewhat a gimmick, but very educational (manatee rib bones are solid and heavy). Boat propellers aren't nearly as harmful as the boats actually hitting and shattering their rib bones.

Manatee Tour Crystal River or Homosassa

166893_1823055661840_1403684418_32020247_2038948_n.jpg

Fabulous pics, Rick... looks like snorkeling's the way to go...

What time of year was this?

Your best time of year is the winter: Nov - March. When it's cold in the gulf, the manatees come to the springs to stay warm. If you're interested in doing it this year, I'd recommend doing it pretty soon. I was out there at the end of this past January.

Fabulous pics, Rick... looks like snorkeling's the way to go...

What time of year was this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom