Cayman Islands liveaboard question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

becca31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a liveaboard in the Caymans. I've read that weather sometimes prohibits the boats from going to LC and CB. Are there certain times of the year when this is more the case? Does that happen frequently? Thanks.

What company are you refering to? I've never heard of a Cayman's liveaboard. Liveaboards typically stay close to a home base chain of islands. I haven't heard of one coming over from Mexico or from Jamaica or Cuba. You would lose a lot of dive time for that kind of boat travel.

I've been on the Cayman Aggressor for 3 trips with each trip for 2 weeks - so 6 weeks total and have never missed a crossing yet. Though once we delayed a couple days after a hurricane went by Jamaica.

Even if a crossings are missed, the diving on Grand Cayman and the food on board are well worth the trip.

I've been on crossing that tossed the boat around pretty good and others that were dead calm.

My trips were all Aug/Sept.

Also check out the capt's logs from diversteve's link, you can gleam some info from them about how often and when crossings are missed.

Generally speaking, summer is the best time for being sure you make it across to Little Cayman. During the winter, when cold fronts make it down past Cuba, even if you could get across to Little Cayman there is no point if there is a strong northerly wind. The good diving on Little Cayman is on the north shore.
With that said, if you are lucky enough to get the right "cold front week" where you can dive the north and south side of Grand Cayman and still make it to the north side of Little Cayman, then I think you have hit the best week possible. During the summer what usually happens is with the nice weather the boat strikes out straight for Bloody Bay and stays there for the week. Which is great diving, don't get me wrong.

Thanks! I had read in some trip report that the guy was 'really disappointed' about not being able to cross. It will probably be a May trip so hopefully that will be a good time. It's either there or Turks (which I've been on and loved!).

Yep...it's a new one. Only been around 27 years or so.

LOL, funny. I guess we can't all know about every single dive op in the world.

Thanks! I had read in some trip report that the guy was 'really disappointed' about not being able to cross. It will probably be a May trip so hopefully that will be a good time. It's either there or Turks (which I've been on and loved!).

It is true that some people can be "really disappointed" if the boat can't make it to Little Cayman. That is understandable, though there is no controlling the weather.

May is right in the beginning of the good time to go in my opinion. You may have a bumpy crossing but typically can get there and don't have the north winds to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom