So.. which agency to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griff..

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Having being teaching recreational scuba for awhile now..

I am wanting to move into the technical side of things..

I am a PADI instructor.. but have been told by some that TDI offers excellent technical courses.. and that alot of people do there courses in TDI and cross over to padi for the Tec Instructor rating..

Basically.. I wanted peoples inputs and views on whats better..

TDI advanced nitrox, deco procedures, normaxic trmix, extended range etc

or PADI's TecRec 40,45,50, Trimix..
etc

any input is appreciated..
Thanks

Let's face it. TDI was built around the need for competent Technical Training. The other agencies didn't want to go there but TDI blazed the way. It's my humble opinion that no one comes close to them yet.

thanks for the reply NetDoc..

From what I have heard.. TDI's courses are less uniform than PADI.. and alot is down to the instructor and his discretion.
Which sounds fantastic (find yourself a good instructor) and know alot more about tech diving in general, rather than being able to meet 'performance requirements'

I'm sure both are good, but any major differences someone could point out would be great

cheers

That's due to the wide variety of venues that the courses are taught in. Different dives require different skills and approaches. TDI recognizes this and makes their classes flexible by design.

Having being teaching recreational scuba for awhile now..

I am wanting to move into the technical side of things..

I am a PADI instructor.. but have been told by some that TDI offers excellent technical courses.. and that alot of people do there courses in TDI and cross over to padi for the Tec Instructor rating..

Basically.. I wanted peoples inputs and views on whats better..

TDI advanced nitrox, deco procedures, normaxic trmix, extended range etc

or PADI's TecRec 40,45,50, Trimix..
etc

any input is appreciated..
Thanks

Start by becoming a technical diver with a few hundred deco or cave dives. Then you'll have some experience potentially worth passing on and might start thinking about where and with whom to enroll in an IDC.

Start by becoming a technical diver with a few hundred deco or cave dives. Then you'll have some experience potentially worth passing on and might start thinking about where and with whom to enroll in an IDC.

I sence slightly that your trying to imply I'm just going to beast through all the courses and go straight to Instructor..

This is not the case.. I'm simply looking for the best agency to LEARN to tech dive with.. and then in future, I will make a decision of which agency to Instruct in, when I feel I have the knowledge, experience.. etc.

Not following you at all on that post? :confused:

EDIT: I think I follow you now; you read the OP's post as to which agency he should get involved with in order to teach technical diving, whereas I had read it as which organisation should he get involved with to learn about technical diving.

This is the case Rhone Man..

Thanks

This is the case Rhone Man..

Thanks

Why are you choosing an agency at all? IMHO there's basically GUE which will require you to go through their curriculm start to finish. You will have a fair bit of confidence this is top shelf.

And everyone else where agency is really just letters on a card but instructor "makes" the course.

We have discussed this so many times here its insane. Agency is nearly worthless.
Most have non-existent quality control and there are loads of crappy instructors out there teaching crappy tech courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom