SB105 Nikonos flash slave???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clutchcargo

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got an Nikonos SB105 Flash that I'd like to try using with an UW housed digital camera. Ideally, I could use it as a slave triggered by the on-camera flash. Is there a slave module available that screws into the TTL socket? After two repairable floods with Nikonos cameras and mediocre results at best, I'm retiring my Nik V and IV but still have a nearly new flash that I'd like to use.
Thx again
Cjh

I must be misunderstanding the question, but your SB-105's work in "Slave" mode without any modification. Turn the strobe to the desired power level, and set the power switch to "Slave". When your camera flash goes off, the strobe will also go off ( assuming your camera flash is "visible" to the sensor on the strobe ).

I use this frequently when one of my strobes isn't firing due to a bad connection ( i.e. it "slaves" off the other strobe ).

This will only work correctly if you can disable the pre-flash of the camera, otherwise the SB-105 will fire on the pre-flash. It's possible with the Olympus 5050 but I don't know about any other digital cameras.

Also then you must be willing to work in the "manual" mode of the camera, altering the shutter speed, aperture and flash output setting of the SB-105 as necessary to gain the correct exposure.

TedJ

boydski once bubbled...
your SB-105's work in "Slave" mode without any modification.
Uhmmmm, ok, Yup, that'll work. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.
It's the Oly 5050 that I'll using it with.
Thx
Cjh

Wow....I'm sorry you've only gotten mediocre results with your Nik V. I've got one and love it. Did Nikon School of U/W Photography a few months back and learned a wealth of info in a week. Got some really fantastic shots and got some more great ones last week in the caves of N Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom