Video Light for Stills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am about to purchase the Ikelite housing for the panasonic LX5. For lighting, I was considering the new 2800 pro video light for still and video photography. I think my shooting will be 50/50 stills and video, with a at least 50% macro and the rest scenic. So, a video light is essential for me, but I also want lighting for still photography as well.

I think this light will be bright enough for the camera's internal exposure system to provide good shutter speeds at lower iso (200-400 max). For macro, you can dial down the brightness quite a bit, and I like the 100 degree diffused lighting.

Anyone using video lighting for shooting stills as well? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Other options are two of the small video lights, or one of the small video lights and one DS50 strobe.

I am limited to around $900 or so for lighting and I thought this might be the best with its high brightness and wide diffused beam.

Since this is my first UW rig, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any help!

For the type of photography you are going to do, the PRO-2800 Lite should be ideal. At some point you may want to add a strobe to enhance the color rendition and "pop" to your still images.

Remember to retain good color information by shooting most subjects within 3' (6' maximum) distance.

Regards,

I think the new Ikelite led 2800 is heading to change that. I foresee the next couple generation will for sure take that to the next step. Just like DSLR doing video and stills one day. Im sure there will still be a top 10%ers will stick with the specifics but most user will head to that direction. Don't forget digital sensors are getting more and more sensitive. Just like my S95 already blown all of my previous equipments including canon 20d, sony 3ccd 900 camcorder. For me, I like to be able to do both. Led 2800 could take me closer to that point for average UW photographers before heading to the next level.

So far, it is really wide and strong without a strong hot spots. Battery is not that big and heavy. I just need to add a couple floats to balance the buoyancy. It lasted longer than 2 full dives. I just test drove it in Cozumel last month. It is good for stills in most situations. I'm planning to buy another lamp because the battery has two outlets. I think it will give me plenty to give me better exposure for stills. I'm really happy with it so far. I'll do more test on stills in the future. I just need to be a better photographer.

YouTube - Under the Mayan Sea, Cozumel, Mexico. Scuba Diving, HD underwater video s95 ikelite 2800

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom