Multiple Certs / Multiple Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got my OW cert about 6 years ago with PDIC.

After a long time of periodic warm water resort diving, I finally got back "into" diving and as of this weekend will have my AOW and Basic NITROX through PADI at my LDS.

I want to get RESCUE before the season ends here in New Jersey, but it doesn't look like my LDS will be able to swing the class before Dutch Springs closes for the winter.

However, a nearby shop in NYC is doing the course in October through SSI.

Does anyone care that you get certs from multiple agencies at this level? At this point, I could easily have 4 certs with 3 agencies. :eek:

What makes it even more of a mess is that I am toying with the idea of getting Master Diver through NAUI...:confused:

Here is my opinion:

NAUI and YMCA teach the best Open Water Basic, based on the materials and the requirements.
SSI teaches the best Advanced Open Water and Basic Nitrox, based on the materials.
PADI teaches the best Rescue and Divemaster. Period.
NAUI teaches the best Master Diver, based on the materials.

But having said that, nobody cares.

As far as who the best is in your local area, it all depends on the individual instructors. Although it has been said that a bad NAUI instructor is the worst of all worlds, since NAUI is the most flexible. And it has been said that PADI could teach a monkey to be an instructor, since the PADI system is very rigid and inflexible.

YMCA and SSI etc are probably just like everybody else.

So, if I understand you correctly, it doesn't matter at all, except for the fact that I would be "leaving" PADI and missing their best course?

:buggy:

It's the instructor, not the agency.

Ohhhmmm.

There is some tiny marginal benefit in having certifications through multiple agencies should you end up on vacation having forgotten your c-cards. Hopefully, at least one of your certifying agencies could verify your training promptly.

To mwilding,

You can have multiple certs from different agencies and although much of the content is standard it is the instructor who makes the difference.

Find and instructor who is competent, experienced and whose personality agrees with you.

Just as a sidelight, being a PDIC Open water diver why not go back to PDIC for your diver stress and rescue training. The program is quite good and challenging to boot.:)

The Dive Supervisor Program ( Divemaster or Divecon in other agencies ) is likewise very enriching. It's a little navy in its orientation but with a little patience, practice, study, and training it can create an outstanding dive leader.

My PDIC training was done during a trip to Florida, so I would have to start from scratch as far as finding an instructor...

I guess I will go the the other store and see what their instructors are like and hopefully it will work out...

Ohmm..............

However I disagree with DeepTechScuba on the Dive Master issue. I have both PADI DM and SSI Dive CON. Dive con is a much better class the DM. Lots more information and water time and you can make lots more money as a Dive Con.

Joe

Again -- its the instructor not the agency.

Have to disagree with DeepTech on his rankings but thats a completely different thread. If the instructor from the other shop is good- do some research ask some questions and make an informed decision.

I'll agree with the statement, it is the instructor not the agency except for the NAUI Master diver course. Now that is an educational experience that should be required before you can attempt going for dm in any agency.

Check with the SSI shop you were considering for Stress and Rescue and ask to speak to the instructor. If you like him and he seems knowledgable, go with them, if he seems like a jerk, leave.

Back
Top Bottom