Hiding the Bear's Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My Tuesday dive buddy and I are back to our winter schedules and since today was a Tuesday we met at an undisclosed location for our afternoon dive.

Curt had a special project: in his goodie bag was a bear's head and he wanted to hide it where other divers wouldn't find it but crabs and shrimp would.

The idea is to see how long it will take the crabs and shrimp to turn the bear head into a bare skull. We will check on it next Tuesday and I'll give a progress report.

The dive itself was very nice with excellent viz for around here (~40') and temp in the low 50s. Max depth 111' TBT 61 minutes using 66cf of EAN32.

We used to ride the bigger ones as kids, until Timmy lost his little toe to one. After that we mostly just taunted them with sticks. Don’t even ask how big the bears are...

I figure that's what took the bear head. It was gone... but I did see a One Legged Clam in the vicinity. So I decided to teach him a lesson.

I took Mr. Cockle (that's his name) over and dropped him in front of a Sunflower Star. Well the fur started to fly almost immediately!!

First the Sunflower Star swooped in and swiftly wrapped two arms around old Cockle. Cockle sensed what was happening and decided to get out of Dodge pronto.

Just as Sunflower made his move to hop on top of Cockle out came *The Leg*. I don't know how Cockle gets that much leg into his shell but he does... the thing is three times as long as the rest of him!

Well there they were, old Cockle was jumping around with Sunflower hanging on for dinner. It was quite a sight and made me forget all about the missing bear head. Probably made you forget about it too.

Anyway old Cockle proved himself the better wrestler even though Sunflower had him out numbered 24 legs to one and he was able to slip out of the choke hold.

He must have been a little dizzy though because as he hopped away from Sunflower he started hopping in a circle!

I suspect that having at least one eye to go along with his one leg would have been a real help.

Having taught him a sufficient lesson I picked old Cockle up just before his circle jumping landed him on Sunflower's back. I carried him a safe distance away and he lay there on the bottom panting from the exertion.

About the bear head... I have no idea where it went.... but given the size of Cockle's leg I wouldn't be surprised...

Good viz for a Tuesday dive until we got back up to ~30'.
79' max depth for 70 minutes TBT averaging ~40'
Used 63 cf of EAN32. Water was a balmy 55F!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I figure that's what took the bear head. It was gone... but I did see a One Legged Clam in the vicinity. So I decided to teach him a lesson.

I'll bet yer really looking forward to the new "Cat In The Hat" movie that's coming out, aren't you? 8)

John F

Back
Top Bottom