Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runnerchic71

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there,

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Florida Keys in April - any recommendation as to where the best diving is at? Key Largo?

Also - recommenations for good dive shops would be appreciated. We are newbies, just certified in August 2010, and don't have more than 10 dives under our belts.

Thanks for the advice!

Lots of good information on here if you do a search on the Keys. Great dive sites for newbies as well (I'd stay clear of the wrecks, with the exception of the Benwood, and City of Washington, with less than 10 dives).
Molasses Reef, French Reef, Alligator Reef, Davis, Pickles... all great relatively shallow OW (< 60fsw) dives.

For operators, you might want to check Rainbow Reef, Silent World, Quiessence... all great ops.

There are plenty of posts on this topic if you search florida keys. My recommendation is Key Largo, of course. I've used just about all the shops there. Silent World offers good value. Amoray offers lodging and boat in one place. Horizon is a bit larger, maybe not suited for newbies. PM me if you want more details.

Actually with your lack of experience most of the operators shouldn't, including myself, allow you to dive a wreck here in the Keys unless you are with an instructor. Most of the reefs in the area, except for Conch Wall and Molasses Deep to mention a few can be 60' to 95', are great for your level of experience and range for 20' - 35'. They are very easy to navigate and can give you some great dives.

As for operators, everyone has their favorite for one reason or another. I'd suggest you call around and talk with a few of them and choose according to your own experience and expectations.

Hope you have a great time on your vacation, we do appreciate you thinking about coming to dive the Florida Keys. If I can answer any questions, even if you don't consider diving down my way, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving

welcome aboard!!
key largo for best viz!!but lots elsewhere to see!!
divers are a great group of people
they like to share and most dont mind assisting new divers
kinda like this board
shops stay alive by customer service and bad vibes in the dive community can really effect
their bussiness-expect superior divemasters and staff!!!!
as was said,lots on line to check into as far as operators
my wife and i had a ball with horizons capt. bob -
but have used 5 other ops with no complaints
you'll love your trip!!!!
have fun
yaeg

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I've dove with Capt. Gary at Conch Republic many times and have had a great experience each time! When one of my students mention going to the Keys to go diving I always recommend Conch Republic. You can't go wrong there. Besides, here he is already looking out for your safety.

I'd also recommend either hiring a dive guide for your first couple of dives or think about taking some continuing education while down there. There are some great dives and great critters to see. My feeling is, hire a dive guide the first day of diving, pick up some good tips, be comfortable and tell them to point out some of the interesting critters that you might overlook yourselves.

Have fun, you'll be hooked!

I would recommend Key Largo. Key Largo is the closest. Also it seems to have the reefs in best conditions.

There is a large protected area: Pennecamp. It has numerous reefs. The reefs are shallow (30' to the sand), generally little or no current, warm water, numerous fish. That kind of diving is very good for new divers.

There are even some shallow wrecks like the Benwood, which is a very good dive. You can dive on a wreck as a new diver as long as you do not penetrate it (go inside).

I have used Quiessence. They are a very good operator. They run 6 packs. The boats have a max of 6 divers. Often you get to choose your dive. Another thing is they can take you to special spots that the big boats don't go to. If you reserve with them and the two of you are the only ones to show up, they will take you out on what is essentially a private charter for no extra charge.

There is a diver's direct on the main drag on Key Largo and they carry all sorts of stuff.

If you get a place with a kitchenette there is a good Publix on Key Largo where you can get food to cook at your rental. Eating out for every meal is time consuming, expensive and fattening.

This guy? My Experience Getting Bent - Blogs - The Cyber Diver

Who is watching out for his safety?

Yes that was me and apparently you didn't read the whole article which was about safety. I wrote and posted the article to offer safety tips for divers who many not be aware of other contributing factors for getting bent, beside a dive profile.

In a nutshell the contributing factors were having flown for 20 hours, suffering from dehydration, and being fatigued. Nothing about dive profile. This determination was from DAN and their Drs, not my opinion.

By the way this is a good plug for DAN, Divers Alert Network. If you don't have DAN you should GET it. They paid for all my medical expenses, which were quite substantial.

I hope everyone will read the entire article and take heed the advise when it comes to traveling around the world to dive. Please get some rest and hydrate yourself before diving.

Good Diving,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom