Valve front or back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm ... if your tanks rocket out the back, which way do you suppose your valves are gonna go?

Probably best to stash them sideways ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I can, I store them sideways.

If sideways simply isn't an option, due to storage space or whatever, I've always figured pointing the valves out the back end is somewhat safer.

My logic, however twisted, is that should the valve and the tank separate, you're going to have 3000 psi shoving the tank one direction, and 3000 psi shoving the valve another direction... but the valve is smaller, and would theoretically then be travelling with a higher velocity, and therefore, more impact power.

The tank, on the other hand, MIGHT slow down as it plows through the trunk liner, rear and front seats. After all, it has to punch a larger hole to get through. The impact would be 'blunter.'

So some physics major can prove me wrong, I don't know... I just figure I'd rather have the valve bullet go screaming out behind me, rather than through me.

Besides, if the tank goes through me, at least I'd be instantly killed... the valve may just wound me enough to leave me in horrible pain for the next 10 minutes while I bled out.

Lovely, huh? :D

I just secure mine so they cant move and dont worry about it:D

Boogie711 once bubbled...
If I can, I store them sideways.

If sideways simply isn't an option, due to storage space or whatever, I've always figured pointing the valves out the back end is somewhat safer.

My logic, however twisted, is that should the valve and the tank separate, you're going to have 3000 psi shoving the tank one direction, and 3000 psi shoving the valve another direction... but the valve is smaller, and would theoretically then be travelling with a higher velocity, and therefore, more impact power.

The tank, on the other hand, MIGHT slow down as it plows through the trunk liner, rear and front seats. After all, it has to punch a larger hole to get through. The impact would be 'blunter.'

So some physics major can prove me wrong, I don't know... I just figure I'd rather have the valve bullet go screaming out behind me, rather than through me.

Besides, if the tank goes through me, at least I'd be instantly killed... the valve may just wound me enough to leave me in horrible pain for the next 10 minutes while I bled out.

Lovely, huh? :D

There was an incident last weekend involving someone whose valve broke. He had a double 7 (2x 50cf) set with a small manifold on it. He had just pulled it out of the back of his car to put it on the ground and the valve (or part of it) broke off (I dont know why). It flew away with such force that it broke his wrist, ricocheted off his wrist and hit him in the face breaking a tooth while at the same time time the tanks flew about 50 metres into the air.

My guess is that with that much force the trunk liner and even the seats probably won't slow it down much.

R..

One of my friends took an old aluminum bottle & taped a wad of dynamite on the side of the valve, blew the sucker off. (got it on video, too):tease:
You don't want the tank coming at you.
That being said, I load mine the other way 'cuz it's easier unloading when you can grab the valve.:wink:

Bob3 once bubbled...
One of my friends took an old aluminum bottle & taped a wad of dynamite on the side of the valve, blew the sucker off. (got it on video, too):tease:
You don't want the tank coming at you.
That being said, I load mine the other way 'cuz it's easier unloading when you can grab the valve.:wink:

That would be a great training shot -- kinda like the accident victim footage they show in drivers education classes where no seatbelt was used.

I can't imagine that it would be a very long clip, but is it viewable by we netizens?

-Rob

It's secured in as well but if someone rear ends me and that valve separates I'd rather the tank goes balistic on them than me. I kid myself into believing that the valve has less area and therefore less chance of making contact with me or my buddies.

...sideways to the direction of travel. With the extended cab pickup, there is lots of room to keep tanks and gear inside.

In 1978 when I was taking my certification classes, the instructor talked about one of the guys at the diveshop in Honolulu moving a fully loaded AL80 with a two handed carry (one hand on the valve, other on the bottom of the tank) and dropped it valve down on the concrete sidewalk. Tank took off, was found in the parking lot of the Ala Mauana Shopping center, a half block away.... don't know if it's true or not... sounds like it could happen.

Hmmm... I really thought there would be an easy answer. I can't really make it work to store the tanks in there sideways. Plus it would make it damn hard to get them in and out with the gear in there if they were sideways. I guess I just have to decide if I want the tank or the valve lodged in my back. Thanks to everyone for their input! This is a great board!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom