Ear Protection when Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btonthemove

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I often dive in tropical waters and have ended up with ear infections and much much worse - fungal spores! I have undergone the humiliation of hydrogen peroxide in my ears then having them vacuumed and want to avoid this. Can anyone recommend a method of not getting water in the ears and preventing ear infection? I wear a hood all the time but this doesn't seem to help.

I use a solution of about 50% white vinegar and 50% alcohol (drugstore type.... sorry I forget the usual strength off-hand). I keep this mixture in a dropper bottle and then after diving and showering (or just rinsing ear in fresh water) I lie down, fill one ear with the solution, set a timer for 5 minutes, then turn over and repeat on the other side.

I read this in a medical book aimed for sailors (who would be swimming often in the tropics). I can't say what would have happened if I had not used it, but with using it conscientiously, neither my buddy nor I have had any ear problems. And that included months of often-daily snorkeling in the tropics.

Blue Sparkle

PS: As I understand it, the vinegar kills the nasties and the alcohol helps dry your ear canal. Also, it was stressed that 5 full minutes were necessary/each ear.

PPS: I just remembered that I have heard of some people using an ear dryer. One person I know of uses one called the Sahara DryEar. It's sort of like a little mini hair-dryer that fits into your ear.

my wife has this issue everytime she dives and it can last for sometime. No one really has a good answer that works so far. If we ask dive masters this question before diving they just dont have a good solution so it stays the same . Even doctors(who are not divers) struggle with answers for it. As much as it seems to be a issue with so many ..whats the deal ? I have an idea of how it happened... Over weighting a beginner without teaching them the importance of equalizing .

At times I use Doc's Pro Plugs, but they do let a bit of water in the ears, of course. Maybe it's too little to start the infections?

At times I use Doc's Pro Plugs, but they do let a bit of water in the ears, of course. Maybe it's too little to start the infections?

I use them as well (on every dive bty)

The best protection for your ears is nature's own ear wax. But repeated diving can reduce that. Some of the anti-swimmers' ear drops can are actually quite aggresive and do little more than further diminish the protecting wax.

The only time I ever got a (double) ear infection was when i experiemented with preventative ear drops during an intensive dive holiday.

Since then, I learnt to 'reinforce' the natural protection of my ear wax, by adding a drop of olive oil to each ear prior to a days diving. That's worked perfectly for me... and I do dive intensively.

I use them as well (on every dive bty)

Do they ever come out on you? I wrap the line once around my mask strap just in case.

good day have had the same problem try drops called bura-sol drops use after water exposure as directed.

I use Doc's Proplugs on every dive where I don't wear my dive helmet. I mostly dive in tropical waters (200 or so dives a year for the last 2 years), and used to get infections frequently. When I use the proplugs, I don't get infections. I think it works, but some people say it's voodoo. For the $10 for a set of proplugs, does it hurt to try it?

Back
Top Bottom