Trip Report Key West 3/12-9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fah

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from a great trip to Key West a week ago and thought I would report so that folks like me who read this board would get a recent update. Only got to go out two days (family spring break vacation), but the diving was great. Dove with Southpoint divers across from the Hyatt in downtown KW. First day was two shallow reef dives near the Sand Key lighthouse. Moderate surge and mild current. Vis was variable 20-50' on one reef, better 50 or so on the second. Many fish, coral in good shape but not as nice as in the Caymans. Water was 75F., I was fine with a 3ml full suit. This was basically a tuneup for the Vandenberg since I have not been able to dive for 2 yrs. Southpoint is a good safety oriented shop and will not take you on the Vandenberg if you have not been diving in the last year. Also if you don't have AOW or higher cert card, you must hire a guide for the Vandenberg. Two days later I did the morning two tank dive on the Vandenberg. What a great dive! Fantastic large wreck (520' long) in 140' of water at the bottom, but most of the dive was at 80-100'. I had a Guide (John) who was excellent and showed me so much more than I would have seen on my own. Many swim thrus, large barracuda and huge Goliath groupers (Jewfish) on the wreck. Ripping current on surface (2-3 knots), had to use the lines to get too and from the wreck--don't let go! Minimal current in the lee of the wreck. Did back to back dives on the wreck with 50" surface interval. My computer had me in the caution zone after the 2 dive, (105' 28min, 95' 30min), but I did extra long 15' safety stops and I did not get bent, so I'm happy. All in all, a really great dive which I can highly recommend.

thnx for posting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom