Intensive diving in Florida for 2-3 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning to visit Florida in May/June and I might be able to reserve 2 or 3 days for diving. I have never been there and a quick search on this forum has just flooded me with thousands of options...

I am looking for some place where:
->I could do about 5 dives daily (e.g. 3 boat dives + afternoon/night shore dives or 5 shore dives)
->I could avoid travelling around too much (I don't have a car)

Are there any places like that? Do you know any diving operations worth recommendation?

Please forgive me my general ignorance of the type of diving done in Florida. I am asking mostly as I believe that carrying the whole equipment just for 2 dives would be a bit too burdensome in my case...

Thank you for info!

Best,
Theriel

The only place you'll find shore diving that's easily accessible without a car is in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Google Ft. Lauderdale by the Sea and Commercial Blvd. You'll be able to do some boat dives in Ft. Lauderdale along with some shore dives. The depths are shallow enough from shore that you can do 5 dives in a day without any issues. Here's some information and photos about the diving in that area - Fort Lauderdale diving

Theriel: South Florida is a good dive destination. I am not sure how you will be getting around, but it is difficult to do so almost anywhere in Florida without a car. Public transporation in Florida stinks (this is not NYC or London!!) and you aren't likely to be able to get your dive gear on a bus anyway. Taxis are plentiful at the airport and hotels, but you have to call a taxi service to be picked up anywhere else like the beach or a marina once you get back from a boat dive (this is not quite as true in Miami where Taxis roam the streets with more regularity than other cities in FL). Anyway, a great shore dive site is Lauderdale by the Sea, which is near Ft. Lauderdale. There are some local hotels in the area and if you can get a lift, you can find your way to scuba boats in Ft Lauderdale or Pompano, between 5 and 10 miles away. Here's a thread on the shore dive:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/290550-lauderdale-sea-beach-dive.html

Fill Express and Force-E are nearby shops for air fills. Force-E does not operate a dive boat but acts as a broker and can get you on any boat in the area.

Pompano Beach Scuba Diving Center - Dive store in central Pompano Beach

Fill Express

Enjoy the diving: it is very nice down here.

You could stay at a hotel or resort in the Keys major areas Key Largo,Islamorada,Marathon,Big Pine,KW and do that many by doing a morning 2 tank and afternoon 2 tank and a nite dive when sheduled.

You could stay at a place with a boat rental and do as many as you could carry tanks,I have had days with 3-4hours of bottom time in my boat.

100 days is right on the money.

I hit key largo once for 2 days and went out on the am 2 tank and afternoon 2 tanks w/ silent world. 4 tanks a day w /50 minutes + bottom time ea dive . new site ea drop. your choice ....wrecks or reefs. shot a lota great pics in those 2 days.

Attachments

• 024_25A.jpg
    024_25A.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 009_10A.jpg
    009_10A.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 23
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom