Liquivision Xen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone here dive with a Xen? Thinking about picking one up but interested in hearing feedback first.

I have it and love it. Screen is bright and nicely laid out, unit is reasonably sized. I really like that you do not have to use your light or search for light-up button in order to see your depth during night dives.
Nitpicks
- Dive download software has not been released yet
- Pressure activation worked a bit late for me once - I was at 15 feet when unit decided to wake up so now I just make sure it is activated right before I start the descent
- clock is running ahead on some units - it should be fixed in firmware update which is supposed to be done Real Soon Now (tm).

Overall really nice little unit with some small growing pains.

I've had mine for a month or so and I've done about 10 dives with it. Some pretty deep and long ones, too.

The display really is great, as is the tap interface. Its very intuitive. The only thing I needed the manual for was the stopwatch shortcut. The color options make it very easy to pick out what information you want at a glance. I was scootering side by side with my buddy in a cave on Sunday, and I could read his unit just as easy as I could read mine. Even with the lowest brightness setting, its CLEARLY visible in shallow open water, too.

There are some little issues with the software, but nothing major. Mine does lose a few minutes a day, however. I was told that will be fixed in the next update. No problems with it not turning on at 4ft, however.

The unit is surprisingly small. From the pictures and video I've seen, I expected a brick on my arm. In reality, its the same size as my Uwatec bottom timer. The back side is a bit taller, but the front side is substantially shorter.

Overall, I'm more than satisfied with it. I wanted a simple, functional bottom timer that I could easily see and use on cave dives. The Xen has certainly delivered. The additional features are really icing on the cake.

Yes, there is a firmware update coming soon (it exists, there is one thing that needs to be formatted on the loader, and that should happen quickly). I updated several units at the Beneath the Sea show with the new firmware for people who brought their units to our booth.

As for turning on upon descent at depth - while the unit is sleeping (i.e. "off"), it is only sampling pressure a couple times a minute to save on power consumption during periods of non-use. If you descend without turning it on first, it WILL turn on when it reads pressure, but it could be 10-20 seconds before it samples the pressure to recognize that it's underwater. If, for example, you were on a scooter and hit the gas headed down a shot-line, in theory you could be quite a ways down before it would sample the pressure.

I turn mine on as part of my pre-dive head-to-toe when we check gauges, and double check after firing my primary light/torch. It's just become part of my routine.

Thank you for your interest in the Xen!!

-Doug
Liquivision Marketing & Sales Manager

I think I live in Xenland ... most of my dive buddies own one ... :D

...Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know a few folks who have purchased them recently, and after playing with one at BTS I want one even more.

Peace,
Greg

I "accidentally" bought one at BTS :) Went through the "1 Beer" familiarizing and it's really easy to use.

I would still like a preference setting to allow the stopwatch to be on all the time so I won't have to go into the menu during the dive to turn on the stopwatch every dive.

Henrik

I'm down in MX right now cave diving, and all three of my buddies have Xens and seem to like them :)

It's on my "to-get" list, since I don't yet have a dedicated bottom timer. A HUGE point to me is the OLED display. My current computer/timer is a Predator, and I cannot go back to LCD. It has spoiled me. I used a Tec2G on a dive, (not a bad piece of kit), but I was really wanting the OLED display when it got dark.

I'm keeping the Predator, but I'm also getting a Xen.

The bottom timer is great and is really easy to see and is super informative. HOWEVER, there is a significant issue with stopwatch activation. Currently, the way the software is written, you have to work through menus to turn on the stopwatch AND then you have have to work your way through menus AGAIN to turn on the stopwatch--it is distracting and unecessary. I have mentioned something in the Liquivision forum but there has been no response (as often there is no response to my posts). So, the timer is awesome, but 500$ for messed up software is a bit effed up. You may want to hold off on a purchase, if you can, until this is fixed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom