breakwater today, 3/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sunny skies, calm in the morning but got rather windy by noon.

Dove the morning high tide. Surf was nearly to the hip but manageable enough for me to walk in and put on fins in the water. Some patches of flotsam and kelp bits floating near shore. Vis was 8-10 feet shallow and 10-15ft deeper (~35-40fsw). Followed the wall to near the end spending some time over the sand and along various depths on the wall. Numerous juvi rockfish, several big rubber lip perch along with the usual striped and blacks, occasional kelp rockfish tucked in the cracks. Had a few fly-bys by sea lions. This can be rather shocking in limited vis as you don't see them until they are right on you. Numerous sea cucumbers and several of the big white nudibranchs, 2 of which appeared to be mating. Another big yellow one with black freckles appeared to be laying eggs. found a few rock scallops and found that they can sense me exhaling and they shut in response. Close-up of a cabezon that wouldn't flinch even as surge pushed me to within an inch of his face. Found the school of large opaleye that I have seen previously only this time they were way out at the end of the jetty ducking in and out of rocks in about 20-25fsw.

Not the best conditions but felt good that I made the best of it and had a good dive. Limited vis really makes you slow down and notice/appreciate the smaller stuff.

max depth: 45fsw
avg depth: 26fsw
dive time: 58min

Still had 1200psi in the AL80 at the end of this one, slow and shallow really stretches out the air

Not the best conditions but felt good that I made the best of it and had a good dive. Limited vis really makes you slow down and notice/appreciate the smaller stuff.

Ain't that the truth! Some of my most enjoyable dives have been in low vis, because it forced me to focus on some fascinating little critters that I normally would not have noticed or appreciated.

Sounds promising. Thanks for the report. I've been dying to get back in the water after a 3-month long hiatus. If anyone wants to hit up BW on Sunday, let me know.

where is "breakwater"? I want a go i want a go!!! no dive friends, I need to get hooked up!

Let me know if the link works. If it doesn't, typing up "breakwater cove monterey" on google maps will usually get you there.
Google Map: Breakwater Location

Apparently the address is: 32 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA
who knew o_O

Back
Top Bottom