The Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished reading "The Last Dive" for the second time. That book should be a mandatory read for OW course:) Might knock some sense into those who take the sport lightely:wink:

Just finished reading this myself (for the first time).

Scares the friggin daylights out of me.

But I don't know if it's the best idea to make it an OW required read, probably just scare everyone off (like the bit about trying to take a blood sample from the kid, but getting only foam out of his veins).

AOW maybe.

by Kevin McMurray, It's about diving the Doria. Give you a better look at deep wreck diving. There both good but I think McMurray's book is better.

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...
Check out Deep Descents by Kevin McMurray, It's about diving the Doria. Give you a better look at deep wreck diving. There both good but I think McMurray's book is better.

Both books read like accident analysis reports.

different perspectives, but well worth the money.

They're a good primer on what NOT to do. Deep air, no guideline, not aborting a dive when you know good and well you should, etc....

If you ever get that creepy feeling that you're living one of the scenarios, its time to display a THUMB! :)

Both books have demonstated one theme I have always held to be true.

Technical diving leaves no room for errors. Every dive has to be a perfect dive or severe bodily harm will result.

The risks are very real and if you are not prepared to counter those risks with training and experience, death may be your reward.

Both of these books are not IMHO good reading for an OW student. There is simply too much going on and too may facts (and fiction) being presented that requires hours of in depth explanation in order to make these books useful.

Training OW students is hard enough without the distractions of both of these books. What I am trying to get across is recreational diving has manageable risks when things do not go as planned and through education and training we can safely resolve them. The risks in technical diving are a different story. Most are not manageable when a mistake is made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom