WD-4 very difficult to install and remove...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

I just received the WD-4 I ordered and it's very difficult to install and remove, and I'm just sitting here in my office. At depth it's only going to be more difficult.

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like this lens is really ready for prime time.

It's going back unless someone can give me some kind of assurance that it works better underwater.

-Charles

Don't know what housing you have, but I've never seen that much of a problem. The surfaces are plastic so maybe lightly cleaning them off inside and out with some 800 grit sandpaper would loosen things up a bit.

Jack

There is an o-ring in the lens which keeps friction. I don't think sandpaper would help.

It's a double edged sword - make it too tight, it's hard to get on and off. Make it too loose, and it falls off underwater. I'd prefer too tight.

Just leave the thing on, don't take it off underwater. All you'll do is lose it or scratch it.

Just leave the thing on, don't take it off underwater. All you'll do is lose it or scratch it.

That's just too limiting. If I want to be stuck for an entire dive with either a flat port or a Wide-Angle port then there's no reason to even deal with a "wet" mount. That's the whole point, after all.

The way the WD-4 mounts is just lousy. It would have been SO much better with a 1/4 turn bayonet mount. It seems like this Wide-Angle dome was an afterthought.

-Charles

Thanks for that, I forgot about the oring :idk:

Charles, just try a bit of silicone grease. the oring will ease up with use. That lens and port have been around for years now. It gives very good results.

Jack

Hey Jack,

Yea I did that and managed to get it on the housing using the silicone grease. I'm sure it does bring results but I'm just not interested in struggling to get this thing off at 60ft.

It's almost an oxymoron, this. It's a wet-mount which is so difficult to install and remove that many people just don't.

I'm going to return it and just shoot the flat port. If I find that I'm just hating the narrow FOV I may revisit it.

Edit: I just tried it again here and it went on the housing. As I was taking it back off the o-ring came out and fell onto the floor. Seriously now?

Thanks!

-Charles

FWIW Charles, I'm not a huge fan of wet mount lenses, and the idea of removing them underwater.

I know many people want to be able to shoot 'everything' on a single dive, but many times it's not practical. Selecting either wide angle or macro before your dive and sticking to that, makes your mind focus better on the composition, and subject selection. If I know I can only shoot macro, I tend to see more macro subjects, and compose them better. ;-) Same for wide angle. Also there is the risk of loss and damage when changing lenses underwater.

I know, the argument, is "What if I'm shooting macro, and the whale shark swims behind me?" Well most likely you'd never be able to remove your marco lens, apply your wide angle lens, change camera settings, focus and compose the whale shark before he swims away. You can just chalk it up to Murphy's Law, and say "Today was not my day to shoot a whale shark."

I've had many such occurrences.

Hey Tienuts,

Yea and I'm very familiar with this concept. I shoot a Canon Vixia HFS20 in a Gates housing for video work and you have to decide before you leave the dock: Flat or Wide. I understand that and I know if I pick "flat" it means I'm gonna be shooting close.

I picked up the WD-4 hoping it would allow me to change during a dive which it "should" be able to do since it is a wet-mount. Given the poor design of the mount and the effort required to change it doesn't really fit the bill.

I've been looking for a site that shows shots from a Canon G12 (or similar) with and without the WD-4 but haven't really found one. If it makes a huge difference and I can get my head around the idea that it's worth the trouble I would keep it.

-Charles

Sorry to hear of your difficulty with the WD-4 dome. It's possible that the dome was machined slightly out of tolerances and if so, we would be more than happy to repair or replace it for you.

In general, lightly lubricating both the inside of the WD-4 and the outside of the housing port will allow it to slide on more easily. You may also try rotating it clockwise slightly during installation which may seems easier than pressing it on.

The WD-4 provides excellent optical quality as it does not rely on a series of lenses to increase the angle of coverage. A couple of side-by-side examples can be found the product webpage:
WD-4 Wide Angle Dome for Canon G10

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Hey Jean,

I do appreciate it but I've already returned it. I hate to complain without offering a solution, so I've come up with one:

1) Get rid of the o-ring. This is a poor way to hold a dome in place.

2) At the top and bottom of the dome ring, drill a small hole through the ring that comes out in the notch where the o-ring seated.

3) Thread these holes.

4) Thread a stainless-steel thumb screw in each hole. A screw with a pointed tip would be ideal.

5) The thumb screws should drop right into the channel on the housing holding the dome securely yet allowing very easy removal.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom