May 14-15 Primer Class @ Dutch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see three of us registared for this class. Eug, I know you are one of them.
When do you plan on going there before class? I think you are coming from NY, I am coming from VA. I plan on leaving here the day before as it is a 5 hour drive.

Can anyone give us any advise as to readings or such before the course?? I have Doing it Right and Beginning With the End in Mind - the Fundamentals of Recreational Diving. I read Lamonts sticky, which give all good ideas. Anything we can do before hand to better prepare us??

I see three of us registared for this class. Eug, I know you are one of them.
When do you plan on going there before class? I think you are coming from NY, I am coming from VA. I plan on leaving here the day before as it is a 5 hour drive.

Can anyone give us any advise as to readings or such before the course?? I have Doing it Right and Beginning With the End in Mind - the Fundamentals of Recreational Diving. I read Lamonts sticky, which give all good ideas. Anything we can do before hand to better prepare us??

There's not a lot of academics with that class, so you should be more than fine with the above and the class notes. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up at Rawlings at some point.

There's not a lot of academics with that class, so you should be more than fine with the above and the class notes. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up at Rawlings at some point.

Will do! Thanks again.

The biggest skill for fundies is just to be able to sit in one spot and hover and watch an instructor.

You might want to read this which I sort of wrote to address this:

Basic Trim and Buoyancy Control | Spherical Chicken

On re-reading that, I think I really should have busted that up into three parts, one entry on buoyancy control, one entry on trim and one entry on additional finesse. You should probably just focus on the stillness and buoyancy control to begin with, and then start trying to add trim, but keep in mind everything I mention there is almost targeting the end result of fundies.

Although if you're shooting for a Tech pass in doubles, you might want to obsess over all of that... That's kind of why I suggest not necessarily shooting for a Tech pass unless you're getting lots of feedback from mentors on where you are....

While I'm not a fan of learning everything before the class(due to the risk of learning things wrong, even with a good mentor) I'd be willing to meet up at Rawlings if you want a dive buddy for a fun dive/ to flesh out gear issues/etc. I have a shakeout dive next weekend at Dutch and after that I should be good to go.

Peace,
Greg

Is this class Primer or Fundies?

heh, i thought it was fundies, might be lack of situational awareness due to low caffeine levels earlier...

The best preparation you can do mostly involves the logistics for the class. Bob is very open and willing to give his students his all. I would suggest you spend as much time as you can squeezing useful diving information out of him. Do everything you can to make sure you're well rested, well fed and are ready to focus on the class. Running to the snack shop, getting tanks filled and discovering that you need to replace o-rings in poorly maintained gear all takes time away from your class so do all of that stuff before class starts.

I would also suggest you let him know from the start what you're hoping to get out of the class. He's a pretty adaptive teacher and would likely tailor the content to your needs if it is feasible to do so.

Make sure to take some time to make friends with your classmates or other local GUE divers that might be around. If you do decide you like what Bob teaches you'll want to start finding friends that think the same way and they're a lot harder to come by than ordering a long hose for your regulator.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom