What are some good lenses to have for a D7000 underwater??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60mm f2.8 AF-S, 105mm f2.8 AF-S, Tokina 10-17 or Nikkor 10.5 or Nikkor 12-24, maybe Sigma 17-70 macro. Many previous threads have covered these. If you look at the threads at the bottom of the page, you might find some, or just go back a couple of pages on the Nikon Niche. Definitely a 60mm, pick a WA from the above. If you want choices, go for the zoom macro.

I would second Larry. Your primary lenses would be a macro and a wide angle zoom. If you like shooting skittish fish, you might go with a 105 in the macro, but that is pretty long for underwater. I would think a 60 macro would be better. What you use depends. Almost everyone makes a decent macro: Nikon, Tokina, Sigma, or Tamron.

A lot depends on what kind of shooting you're doing. For macro, go with the 60mm micro first over the 105mm micro - this will will be more versatile than the 105mm and give you more latitude in the type of shots. For wide angle, I loved the 10.5mm fisheye. I had the 12-24mm wide zoom as well, but for shooting shipwrecks I prefer the 10.5mm fish.

I think the more general question is "what lens for a crop sensor
camera that can AF a lens that doesn't have a motor". (The D7000
does have a pin drive AF, right?)

I've gone through the same analysis for my D300 recently. I
already had a 60 mm and 105 mm macro (both the older no-motor
versions) and I've been using the 60mm. For wide-angle, I spent
my income tax refund on the Tokina 10-17 (picked it up today,
will get it wet next weekend, conditions permitting). My initial
decision was the Nikon 10.5, but I found a bunch of folks who
had left the 10.5 for the Tokina 10-17. I've been a Nikon shooter
since 1971. I have at least a dozen Nikon lenses (not counting
the Nikonos RS lenses). The Tokina is the first non-Nikon lens
I've ever bought.

I think the more general question is "what lens for a crop sensor
camera that can AF a lens that doesn't have a motor". (The D7000
does have a pin drive AF, right?)

The D7000 does have an internal AF motor, so that gives it access to all type of autofocus lenses out there and to booth it even has a meter coupling for the older non AF lens (to be used top side only) like my D300s has (and your D300 as well).

As a footnote, for those that use cameras without that built in AF Motor and want to shoot Fisheye on a crop sensor, Sigma makes a 10mm Fisheye that is HSM. it is quite a good lenses, similar to the 15mm fisheye they already make, which is, BTW, way better than they old Nikon or Canon fisheye that dates all the way back to the 80's of or even earlier film days, way past their prime if you pardon the pun :blinking:

As a footnote, for those that use cameras without that built in AF Motor and want to shoot Fisheye on a crop sensor, Sigma makes a 10mm Fisheye that is HSM. it is quite a good lenses, similar to the 15mm fisheye they already make, which is, BTW, way better than they old Nikon or Canon fisheye that dates all the way back to the 80's of or even earlier film days, way past their prime if you pardon the pun :blinking:

The Sigma 15mm fish is what I currently use on my D3. When I moved from the D200 / 10.5mm fish to the D3 I first originally bought the Nikkor 16mm fish, but found I wasn't getting the sharpness I was used to with the 10.5. I subsequently went to the Sigma 15mm and really like how it performs.

So far the Tokina 10-17mm hasnt come off my Nikon D7000. Done maybe 20 dives with it so far. I personally prefer the Tokina 10-17mm at 10mm than the Nikkor 10.5mm Fe. Feel that the Nikkor 10.5mm has a little more distortion and doesnt focus as close as the Tokina which I require with the stuff I am shooting.

Regards Mark

The 10-17 Tokina is my next buy when I am over in the US in May, B&H here I come :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom