Yoga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GratefulDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anyone here into yoga? How has it effected your diving? It would seem to be very complimentary.

Bob

I do yoga, and recommend it on many scores. Not only does it help with your physical flexibilty, it also has a tremendous effect on calm and focus, dispersing stress and promoting physical and mental discipline. One of the basic tenants of yoga is a focus on breathing, and it promotes a steady, controlled, rythmic breathing as the basis of good yoga practice. This has obvious flow on benefits for diving, IMHO.

I can't really gauge the impact its had on diving. I noticed a marked improvement in air consumption when I began it, but as I started doing yoga at the same time as I embarked on a heavy cardio fitness programme and took up running as well, how much is due to the yoga and how much to the cardio work is difficult to determine. A well balanced fitness programme combines elements of cardio, strength and flexibility training.

yoga is very useful, bob...
first, it affects air consumption...
second, since being underwater is very relaxing, yoga then compliments the experience...
in fact, some of those i know who want to try free diving are trying to do yoga first to control their heartbeat and their bodies' need for oxygen...

with this, why don't i try it myself? =-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom