Camera stolen at Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtangney

New
Reaction score
# of dives
My Canon G9 camera in Canon UW housing was stolen today. After second dive, I left my rig behind my car while I rinsed a couple items. The camera was on top of the pile still clipped to the D ring. Two minutes later. it was gone. 38 years of diving Monterey, and this is the first loss by theft.

As a side note, if you have to contact the police for a non-emergency, don't be lazy and dial 911 like I did. The phone was locked in emergency mode for 90 minutes. This prevented email, phone, and text messaging.

If anyone comes across a Canon G9 with a home-made diffuser and ballast weight, please drop me a note.

Thnaks,

Mike Tangney

I'm sorry, man, that's f*ckin awful. I've spent too much money on camera gear so I know what it's like to lose something regardless of the manner.

Not trying to make you feel worse, but if you plan on replacing your rig, an insurance is a good thing to have. I didn't insure my G10/OEM housing but when I upgraded to an SLR rig with the total value of almost 5k, it was stupid not to insure it.

That's really crappy. Sorry to hear your camera got stolen.

Wow that sucks. I am sorry about your loss. I am an habitual Craigslist browser and will keep my eye out for this item.

most disturbing....hope it's not a trend as I've never had any issues with theft at any dive sites in Monterey. Hope it turns up for you somehow.

Really sorry to hear that, I'll keep a lookout for suspicious G9 deals. I've heard of incidents at BW every once in a while, but they tend to be car break-ins while people are out diving.

I know it doesn't help your situation, but a couple of years ago, I accidentally left my camera and housing on top of my car, parked on the street on Cannery Row. 2 hours later, when we finished the dive, we walked up the beach to find it still there. I even went through the images to see if someone took some shots with it, but nobody had touched it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom