Proper fit for a Women's BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gcrackr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The SO has been searching for a BC for her smaller size 5’4” 115 lbs +/-. Has eliminated Jacket (too restrictive) & BP/W (too technical)—likes the freedom of back inflate. Looking mostly at Women’s, but also trying Unisex just in case. Hates a weight belt so looking only at integrated weight styles. But they all fit so different!
Some models seem to have the weights (side lobes) a little higher on the sides which causes them to dig into/rub the bottom of her rib cage.
Some models seem to have the weights a little lower causing them to dig/rub into her hip/pelvic bone.
Others that carry the weights farther back seem ok, (example: Oceanic Islander) but then the whole unit slides up from the bottom
Zeagle Zena & Lazer designs don’t have this problem due to their design (the waist strap system covers the belly & chest up to the bottom of the breasts) but some dealers say these not good because the design restricts the ability of the rib cage to move in/out when breathing.

The questions:
What is the proper fit/where should the whole unit ride on the body?
Where should the weight ride with respect to the hips & ribs?

Thanks in advance for your help/tips

I have a Scubapro LadyHawk. The chest strap is not confining (not a boob smasher:wink:). It is easily adjustable with shoulder straps, cumberbund. It's back inflated so won't squeeze the middle, no breathing issues. Weight pockets don't rub any where and comes in a variety of sizes.

my cumberbund is at the belly button, weights are in line to that. Go to a shop that sells Scubapro and ask for assistance with fitting. Of course, they may expect that you will be buying it so don't ask for help then order on line.

Try the DiveRite "TravelPac BCD"

TravelPac BCD at www.DiveSeekers.com

travelpac.jpg

I know several women who have picked these up recently and love them. The crotch strap will keep the scuba unit from riding up. Add two QB Weight Pockets and you're ready to go! (Perhaps she won't notice that it sort of looks like a BP/W.)

My wife is about that size and picked up a mares back inflate womens specific BCD about 7 years ago while we were in key west doing a dive. She has been very happy with it. Certainly a number of back inflate (pretty much required for someone that small to not be squished when inflating) designed for women exist. Mares has some, Bare has some, etc. Should be plenty out there to try assuming you can find a local dealer to try them at.

I have an Oceanic Hera hybrid BC. It is highly adjustable. Along with the normal shoulder adjustments, it has additional length adjustments in the back (grommets with screws that allows adjustment from the back pack). The BC is also very nicely padded where it counts for us ladies & is very comfortable. The only minus to this BC I can see is tha it is rather bulky & heavy (from the padding) than most BC's the same size & so doesn't travell as welll as some other BC's. Also, your wife may not like that it also has side pockets similar to a jacket style BC.

The SO has been searching for a BC for her smaller size 5’4” 115 lbs +/-. Has eliminated Jacket (too restrictive) & BP/W (too technical), likes the freedom of back inflate. Looking mostly at Women’s, but also trying Unisex just in case. Hates a weight belt so looking only at integrated weight styles. But they all fit so different!
That's true. And you are right to search for just the right solution. There's no point in buying something less than ideal. The major brands can stand up to many years of diving.
Some models seem to have the weights (side lobes) a little higher on the sides which causes them to dig into/rub the bottom of her rib cage. Some models seem to have the weights a little lower causing them to dig/rub into her hip/pelvic bone.
I'm going to assume from what you've said that she has maybe three inches from bottom of ribcage to top of iliac crest?
Others that carry the weights farther back seem ok, (example: Oceanic Islander) but then the whole unit slides up from the bottom.
Sliding up is the worst. You're on the surface, the BC shoulders are up around your head, and the whole rig is not doing its job of keeping you out of the water.
Zeagle Zena & Lazer designs don’t have this problem due to their design (the waist strap system covers the belly & chest up to the bottom of the breasts) but some dealers say these not good because the design restricts the ability of the rib cage to move in/out when breathing.
I don't like any system that makes it harder for me to breathe, which is why I use back-inflate designs.
The questions:
What is the proper fit/where should the whole unit ride on the body?
Comfort is primary, as you've noted in your descriptions of what doesn't work. The hardest job for the BC is to keep you safe on the surface. If the waist system (and your own waist) are solid, that will keep the rig from riding up on you. I often see new divers over-tightening the shoulder straps and the sternum (chest) strap. Over-tightening just starts pulling the waist of the BC up your torso. The DiveRite line are somewhat minimal and most can be ordered with crotch straps, which really helps keep the rig down on you. I have a TransPac with crotch strap but I don't use their weight pocket system as it seems "floppy" to me. On the other hand, your SO might like it because these pockets are threaded onto the waist band, not built into the BC per se. And the TransPac can be ordered with your choice of air cell, sized (maximum lift) for your needs. The "travel" wing might offer all the lift your SO needs for warm-water diving.
Where should the weight ride with respect to the hips & ribs? Thanks in advance for your help/tips
That gets into the question of trim. Ideally, all your weight and all your buoyancy is distributed so you float horizontal when motionless. This can be difficult to achieve but BC trim pockets (behind the shoulders) can help a lot, by moving some weight higher. Trim is a big issue and there are lots of resources here on that subject, just search on thread titles.

-Bryan

Back
Top Bottom