Another BP/W thread....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColinCB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm finally ready to purchase a BP/W in the next few months and I'm looking for gear choices. I've been researching all the different choices, reviews, and all of that. I've done my homework. Now I'm look for specifics if possible.

I'm a cold water diver. I dive in water no warmer than 55degF/~13degC, I always dive a 7mm wetsuit (one piece). I use an MK25/S600. I dive with an AL80.

I'm look for a a setup that will lead me into diving dry by the summer of 2012 (awhile). I want something that will last. I am a college student, I need to buy once.

My local LDS is a dive rite dealer. I want to buy most of the stuff from him.

I was thinking:

DR SS BP
DR Basic Harness (with modified triglides/clips from another company)(is the deluxe harness worth it?) or the secure harness from halcyon?
2x Cam Straps
Crotch strap, 2-inch
STA?
Oxycheq 40lb wing, Halcyon 40lb wing, DSS 40lb wing

weight belt?

I have a DR deluxe harness. Is it worth it? It is to me. I don't have shoulders conductive to keeping straps on. In fact, my tech instructor hates quick releases (on the breast strap), but he told me to get one of those harnesses because I couldn't keep the straps up very well. I have been told though, in those cases that you can also cross the regular type straps behind you to facilitate the same thing, but I already had the Deluxe harness. Another manufacturer you may look at is Hollis. Good quality stuff. Although I have an Apeks SS BP, I like the looks of Hollis' plate. It is flared a bit at the bottom corners to keep the plate from digging into the hips. Also, for a single tank, you may need to look at a smaller wing for a single tank & a larger one for maybe eventual doubles (if you plan on ever going that way). The larger doubles wings tend to wrap quite badly around the single cylinder like a taco, making releasing the air more difficult. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to also look into a STA (single tank adapter) for greater cylinder stability. Just my $.02.

I was debating between a 30lb and 40lb wing.

I wasn't sure if 30 would be enough for all of the lead I'll be wearing.

depends on how much lead you're wearing. With a 7mm steamer and a ss plate you should have about 10lbs max on there unless you are rather floaty in general... Maybe 15lbs.
A 30lb wing should be fine, and why not buy a DiveRite wing if you're buying from the shop? The new Voyager wings are pretty spiffy at 40lbs and my 28lb Travel wing works fine for me in a 7mm as well.

I like the deluxe harness because it's much more comfortable for me on land with the chest strap. Not a huge fan of quick releases but the non QR Deluxe harness is AWESOME imho. Doesn't technically add any failure points. The webbing seams are stronger than the webbing itself, and a stainless steel o-ring isn't going to break, so any pipes from anyone saying it's a failure point is full of sh!t. That's a personal preference and for me running around a lot on land chasing students, the chest strap is a god send since the HOG harnesses cut circulation off to my arms very very quickly.
If you're getting 2 cam bands, which you need, get the SS ones. They add an extra lb each to your weight, and a STA may be a good investment too as it adds about 2lbs. So you can be looking at about 10lbs off of your current weight belt initially.

Another good investment would be a steel tank of some sort. Even an old steel 72 *which can be had quite cheap, I just got a pair for $120 out of hydro, passed it flying colors. That will take about 5lbs off of your belt.

I wasn't sure if 30 would be enough for all of the lead I'll be wearing.
Your choice between a 30 lb. lift wing and a 40 lb. lift wing will probably depend on how much lead you require and where you decide to position that lead -- attached to your BP/W (integrated ditchable weights, trim weights) or attached to yourself (weightbelt or harness).

Also consider the Deep Sea Supply system. I REALLY like the bolt-on weight plates for my cold water diving, which take 8 pounds off my weight belt. Also, DSS wings snap on and off the plates for cleaning, transport and storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of different brand wings. Love my Halcyon and have complaints about the others. IMO it's well worth a little extra money to assure you won't need to repurchase.

Can you borrow or rent a 30lb wing to try?

I'm sure you will love diving in a bp/w!

Interesting, interesting, interesting.

I have pretty broad shoulders, so a chest strap may be a good idea for me, and if I don't like it, it would be a huge loss of $.

I have a bit of extra fat, so I'm a bit floaty. With a 7mm, AL80, and scubapro-esque BC, I wear something like 25 pounds or so in lead, but that's probably heavy, and I've yet to get my weighting perfect.

I'll probably get the STA and SS Cams.

As for the, would that 30lbs be enough for a steel tank and a drysuit?

I'd like to wear my weight on my belt because I am a poor college student, and I don't want to pay $100 for the integrated.

I've been considering the DSS system. I'd really like to keep atleast everything except the wing DR in order to support my LDS. He's a good guy and we give him a lot of business, and he helps us out with gear purchases.

I've been considering the DSS system. I'd really like to keep atleast everything except the wing DR in order to support my LDS. He's a good guy and we give him a lot of business, and he helps us out with gear purchases.

For your first singles ring I'd suggest sticking with one brand, DSS, DR etc. That way you know the parts are intended to be used together.

Just like the experienced gamer *MAY* be able to piece together a motherboard and processor and video card etc. etc. and end up with a system that *Might* match a prepackaged deal, divers familiar with BP&W's can often make "mix and match" work too.

OTOH the first time buyer of a PC is almost always ahead in terms of cost, compatibility, and performance if they buy a prepackaged "system".

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom