first DLSR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgl51

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning to soon buy my first DLSR. if it is a Nikon which housing would you suggest and why? i am thinking of either D5000 or D7000. I have no lens yet. I will start to use it over water. For underwater my priority is ease of use and not need three hands to change the camera settings!

Speaking of lenses, which one would you recommend as first one for above the water and later for underwater?

Thanks to all in advance

I would strongly advise against getting the D5000. It does not have a focus motor. That means you are going to be limited to lenses with AFS or the equivilent.

Also the view finder is not considered to be up to snuff. It is better to go with the D7000.

In my looking at the cost of housings, a housing costs as much for an inexpensive DSLR as it does for an expensive one. Saving money on the body is a false economy.

Going with a lens that works underwater and above water is tricky.

Underwater, you will want primarily 2 lenses: a macro lens like the 60 mm. Also you will want a wide angle zoom. Neither lens is really a "walk around" lens for above water.

You can spend relatively little on a decent "kit lens". Or you can go with a higher cost mid zoom lens for above ground. A mid level zoom like the 17-50 2.8 might also work under water.

You are doing 2 very different thing. So I think you would be better off with 3 lenses eventually. By the way, the third party manufacturers make some very nice macro lenses and wide angle zooms that should serve your purpose for underwater lenses.

Some of the most competent advice I've seen on Scubaboard yet.

D7000 will give you HD video and autofocus while doing it. If you get the body with a kit lens or two (18-105 or 18-70VR & 70-300VR) you could add a 60mm macro, which will take nice portraits and do topside macro and is the most popular all purpose macro lens for UW. Topside, I use my 18-200VR mostly, but I wish I had an 80-400VR. Both of those as well as the kit lenses are worthless UW. Another option would be a WA zoom, which is pretty useless topside or if you want more length and are into tiny stuff UW you could go with the 105VR.
Be aware that whatever lenses you plan to take UW, you'll need ports and gears as well. If you plan well, you might be able to double up on ports using one port for two lenses. One option would be a wide flat port for a short midrange zoom and a macro lens.

The new d5100 was just announced you might want to take a look at that. It uses the same sony 16mp sensor as the d7000. It also has the HD auto focus. And it is a smaller package, if that is something you want to consider.

Does the new 5100 have a motor such as everyone recommends here? (I drooled when I saw it on engadget at work and my boss thinks i'm a moron i'm sure :D)

nope, it only takes AF-s and motor lenses. If you need it to use non motor lenses you will need to go with the d7000

D7000 would be my recommendation too, lenses I would look at macro first bearing in mind that you are going to have to almost have a separate port for every lens you use.

Tokina make a superb 35mm micro lens that does 1:1, with my Sea & Sea housing I have one port that accommodates this lens as well as the 60mm and 85mm micro Nikkor lenses.

Wide angle is another game altogether, but it really depends on what you want to photograph and the conditions you are likely to use these lenses.

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful.

I had reduced my choice between Nikon D90 and Canon 550D but will now include the D7000. Several ("above water") photographers have suggested me the D7000.
Regarding the lenses, I will probably start with the 18 -200 Zoom. Probably the Nikon one, which is as expensive as the body!! I shall see later for the underwater use for both a wide angle and a makro. I also have heard most divers recommending the Tokina.

Back
Top Bottom