South Central Pacific Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello Mates,

I am looking for advice from experienced South Pacific divers regarding the diving situation in the Tahiti region.

Have any of you dived Fakarava, Tuamotus or the Cook Islands? I am thinking about taking a trip with Paul Gauguin Cruises and I am looking for the best itinerary they offer for scuba diving. Paul Gauguin operates out of Tahiti and my understanding based on reader's comments, the diving is average at best. Yet some of the PG's cruise itineraries visit some areas that may afford much better diving than Moorea and Bora Bora.
I appreciate your sage thoughts.

For example on trip is: Society Islands & Tuamotus | 10-night cruise >
Bora Bora • Fakarava • Huahine • Moorea • Papeete • Rangiroa • Taha'a

or

Cook Islands & Society Islands | 11- night cruise >
Aitutaki • Bora Bora • Huahine • Moorea • Papeete • Rarotonga • Taha'a

Thank you.

Garv :confused:

Hi Fred, no doubt you should take option #1 Society + Tuamotus if you want good diving. I think you'll find that the diving in the South Pass at Fakarava is amongst the best pass diving in the world. Sharks, sharks and more sharks, plus a sweet Napoleon and glassfish under the jetty as you finish your dive. One could spend a week or a month there and not get tired of it. However not sure that the PG will take you down south and they may jsut let you dive in the north where there are more dive operations and is where the airport is located. Its good too but doesn't touch the south. Tiputa Pass at Rangiroa is a must do and places are pretty and incredible above water, but its the Tuamotus who hold the treasures of French Polynesia diving.

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel
"In Partnership with Amazing Adventures Travel of Mill Valley, California"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom