Very confused on BP/W - requesting help for the newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey all,

I'm looking to replace my current (first) BC - an old Dacor Rig 2. It's been good to me, but now some of the stitching is tearing out. Since it is time to replace it, I'd like something "less." The Rig just has so much "stuff" that I simply do not need as a recreational diver in warm clear waters (18 D rings anyone? 75lbs lift?). Also, considering my personal size and thus the XXL size of my BC, the Rig was HUGE and HEAVY and a pain to travel with, fit in suitcase, etc.

I've been reading some threads on SB about BP/W and their advantages, but a lot of it is confusing for me. Is there somewhere that details the building of a BP/W, but does so in the "For Dummy's" terminology? Basically I load up the Leisure Pro website and look at the BP/W section and I see how modular they are... I don't want to limit myself by getting the wrong thing.

In a nut shell this is what I'm looking for...

• Lightweight (for travel)
  • A few D rings (not 18)
  • Weight integrated - ditchable
  • Padding between my back and backplate
  • Quick-release harness for ease of getting out of gear in water

In the next couple months I'm taking the step to become a DM then OWSI. I plan to continue down that path for the forseeable future, thus in that regard if you have any further recomendations please do not hesitate to offer them. Things like an air bladder for single or double tanks, etc., are things I prefer to consider now and not wish I had it 2 years down the road.

Personally I'd love to see, feel, and fit these items before purchase, but I live in the middle of corn fields so scuba shops are not popular. I plan to make a drive to Chicago to look at them first hand (a full days trip), but before doing so I wish to be educated on the subject. I do not patronize a particular shop and thus I don't want to be unknowingly taken advantage of by an unethical retail shop.

Finally, what brands should I consider? On the Leisure Pro website I see Hollis keeps popping up, but surely there must be several brands to choose from. I'll have to narrow down the list of brands, then track down a retailer in Chicago for each.

TIA

You can't go wrong with this Halcyon system :). It's easily upgradeable to doubles with a different wing. The Aluminum plate will be much lighter:

Halcyon Infinity | Halcyon Dive Systems

Key Components of the Infinity BC System
•Cinch Quick-adjust (patent pending); infinitely adjustable with a simple push or pull of the webbing
•Eclipse Buoyancy Compensator (wing); available in either 30- or 40-lb. (14- or 18-kg) lift capacity
•Choice of Aluminum or Stainless Steel Backplate; standard size
•ACB10 weight pockets
•Halcyon Deluxe Harness Pads featuring a Storage Pak for convenient stowage of lift devices
•Stainless steel Single-Tank Adapter with two cam straps; accommodates a weighted insert

Infinity_ACB_bl.jpg

A BP looks much more confusing on a website than in person. I personally like the Halcyon system and it fits what you are looking for. Look at a hog harness (one continuous piece of webbing) with the cynch system like their infinity system. Halcyon Infinity | Halcyon Dive Systems

As far as padding goes, this BP is very comfortable without padding. I use the storage pack and provides a little padding and a place to store an SMB

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt replies!

That does indeed look like a nice system. However, there isn't a dealer anywhere near me - even in Chicago. I'd be apprehensive to purchase a BC without first trying it on. Hrmmm

Deep Sea Supply also makes a nice system, but no weight pockets or padding.

As far s trying a BP on, they are not like jacket BCs. The beauty is that they adjust to your size. The only issue would be the size/height of the plate itself. The only way to know if you will like a BP/W is to actually dive it. You won't be able to tell anything by wearing it in a store.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

That does indeed look like a nice system. However, there isn't a dealer anywhere near me - even in Chicago. I'd be apprehensive to purchase a BC without first trying it on. Hrmmm

Oh you can't go wrong :). Just contact Extreme Exposure and chat with them about the system: Extreme Exposure - Home | Extreme Exposure

A few facts about BPW's
1. They are not hard to set up but do take a little time to get set unless you have someone who is experienced with them help you.
2. A pad between the plate and you is not necessary for most divers.
3. Integrated weights are overrated as are ditchable ones. The steel plate will normally take around 6lbs off your belt and you can add pockets to the cam bands. If you are properly weighted the most you should have to drop to get and stay positive is around 4 lbs. I wear this as "ditchable" in a belt with individual velcro pockets that I can yank a weight or two out of. I have never had to do this in over 200 dives in a BPW to stay comfortably on the surface.
4. A hogarthian harness is very comfortable and when properly adjusted very easy to get into and out of.
5. You don't say how big you are but you can get heavier plates and for some back plates bolt on weight plates to make it even easier to distribute the lead properly.
6. I have never found it necessary to have more than 4 d rings -one on each shoulder and one on each hip.
7. They pack very well being modular they can be broken down and mine fits in a back pack with my regs, mask, boots, fins on the side, and a 3 mil suit. With room for a few extras as well.
8. Wings work well for either singles or doubles. Rarely both. A singles wing is to small for most doubles and a doubles wing will taco on a single tank. Most of us have two wings and many two complete setups - singles or doubles.
9. Almost forgot - you do not try to fit into them. You fit them to you. Around 11-12 feet of continuous webbing that you set for your best fit and trim the excess. Screw up and cut it too short? Who cares buy another 12 feet of webbing for $10 and start over!

Halcyon is great gear but you are paying for the name as well. HOG, Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, and Golem Gear all make BPW set ups that are just as good as Halcyon and will do the same job for less money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom