Maps for Spiegel Grove & Duane (Wreck Penetration)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz-diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a Padi Wreck Instructor & I am looking for some maps of the Spiegel Grove & Duane. I remember a few years back during my IDC, someone showed me a map that detailed the wreck penetration points & subsequent corridors on the Spiegel Grove.

I am going to Key Largo the April 8th & 9th 2011 and am going to dive both the Spiegel Grove & the Duane.

Does anybody have these or other maps detailing one or both wrecks?

I was in the Keys two weeks ago and did penetration dives on both these wrecks. It was my first time diving both of them so I didn't do anything extensive but I'm guessing if you're teaching students you won't want to go too far in.

Spiegel Grove: Penetrating the 2nd deck of the main superstructure (at about 80ft), from the entrances towards the aft side (by the flag) worked well. The corridors here go in a 'square' around the entire deck with lots of little rooms off both sides. There is also a large rope / guideline down one section. Natural light is visible at all times and there are access holes cut into most of the rooms. There is a lot to see including tables, cookers, cabinets, bathrooms and even toilet cubicles! There was very little silt on this deck and there was ample space to access each room safely.

Duane: I did not do much penetration on this wreck as the current was ripping and I used up more air than I planned getting down. There are a lot of good swim throughs on the upper decks allowing you to look down into the lower decks. There is also a long corridor that can be accessed from a door on the starboard aft side of the wreck (at about 100ft), it runs all the way to a hatch closest to the bow on the starboard side. This wreck was a lot darker inside than the Spiegel Grove but prettier in my opinion (probably because it has been down a lot longer).

Please know I am by no means an expert on these wrecks having only dived them the once. I'm sure you can get much more detailed info from others on the forum but I hope this helps give you some ideas.

Have a great dive!

You might want to visit the USCGC Ingham to see one of the Treasury Class Cutters that is in excellent shape before you dive the Duane. They were sister ships.

--

Bud

Thanks for the info on the Ingham. I'll check that out next time I'm in KW.

The Ingham is in Key West which is 100 miles (2hrs) south of Key Largo so it's a day's field trip if stay/diving in Key Largo.

Another sister ship to the Duane is the Bibb which is about 1 mile away. It is a more advanced dive due to currents and depth. She sits on her side in 130 ft so most of the dive is around 120 ft. vs the Duane which sits upright and most of the dive/main deck is 100 ft or shallower.

Have fun and dive safe. While you are here, stop by and say hi :wavey:.

Thanks for the info on the Ingham. I'll check that out next time I'm in KW.

The Ingham is in Key West which is 100 miles (2hrs) south of Key Largo so it's a day's field trip if stay/diving in Key Largo.

Another sister ship to the Duane is the Bibb which is about 1 mile away. It is a more advanced dive due to currents and depth. She sits on her side in 130 ft so most of the dive is around 120 ft. vs the Duane which sits upright and most of the dive/main deck is 100 ft or shallower.

Have fun and dive safe. While you are here, stop by and say hi :wavey:.
What MM is Garden Cove? If it is on your web, I missed it (it should probably be there based on how everyone finds things in the keys)

Hi Jim,
MM100 next to Tower of Pizza. The address is at the top right under our name. Stop and say hi next time you are down here.

I just wasn't sure how to read the 100xxx for addresses. Now, I know right where you are near the fire department :)

Yep, it's easier than most people think. The first three digits of any 6-digit or first two of any 5-digit address correlate to the approximate mile marker. So Mrs. Mac's (yum - it must be close to lunchtime) at 99336 is at MM99.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom