UTD Z-Trim Plus with 38Lbs Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWSWine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My new Z-Trim Plus (38Lbs wing version) shipped to day and should be at the LDS sometime next week for my first dive trip of year. No, I didn’t order the manifold system just the wing and harness. I already own the Z-Trim Device with the 20lbs wing – I’ve owned and sold an EXP and Recon and still have a Hollis SM100 and basic harness.

Since the Z-Trim Plus wing is basically a Delta Back mount wing on a harness. The wing would mount by placing a strap with groments on 11” centers though the slot that would normally the harness would go though, then attached to the plate with sex bolts. Plus it would have the attachments around the waist strap and shoulder straps to prevent the taco effect. You could run the buggies thought the holes on the back plate or even use the same loop style bungees that the Armadillo uses. What would be the down side of using aluminum plate or even SS plate for sidemount diving? Just brain storming.

Also it would be nice for travel since I could throw plate in my carry on bag and the wing and harness would fit in laptop case and I would have the best of both worlds – backmount with SS plate or harness for side mount.

It looks like the Z-Trim Plus will not have some of the issues dumping air and bulging out on the diver's back that the original smaller version has.

What would be the down side of using aluminum plate or even SS plate for sidemount diving?

One downside: a diver wearing a rigid backplate can wedge himself in a tight passage inside a cave or wreck, which might require a recovery team for extrication. Probably of little concern to those who stick to large passages or open waters.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom