Where to dive in san francisco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonygagey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a week in san fran in sept so were do i dive ,who with and what do I what need? drysuit or wetsuit etc

Short answer is head down to Monterey. If you have a drysuit, you'll be happier than in a thick wetsuit. All the Monterey boats are quality. If you don't have cold water, low vis, ocean experience PLEASE hire a DM, as the ones on the boat won't get wet unless it's for a rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to NorCal...

Fisheater's got the basic gist covered. Hire a DM if you've never dove in similar water conditions as to here.

A little more information in case you're not familiar with California. Monterey is located a good 2hrs south of SF and it's pretty much the main hub for diving in Northern California.

You can dive in a wetsuit anywhere from 7mm and up or you could go to a dry suit. The water is usually 52F average but lately the ocean reports have said 56F (I confirmed this last Saturday). Exposure protection will usually be based on your own cold tolerance.

Bring gloves, booties, and a hood. I'd highly recommend a dive light.

The water is usually 52F average but lately the ocean reports have said 56F (I confirmed this last Saturday). QUOTE]

Friday I showed 50F out by Seamount, and the students with me were showing 48F on their computers. Then Sunday I recorded 56F shallow at Breakwater, but was again showing 50F once I got below 50 fsw. (Meaning, your computer would probably show 48F.) It was crazy: the water was slime green, but cold as ice. The MBARI pages do show we've had upwelling the past 5-6 days as a result of the strong NNW winds we were having. It's switched around to NNE now, but I think we had NNW long enough to clear the water out.

Despite Tribolet's reservations, I personally think Sunday is going to be nice.

Bruce

I dived in Monterey and at Point Lobos park in Carmel (NOT TO BE MISSED!) with a dive guide from Bamboo Reef dive shop. The shop staff and my guide could not have been nicer or more professional, and the diving was incredible. We dove with sea lions and even a juvenile seal at Point Lobos.

Bamboo Reef has locations all over NorCal including SF and Monterey.

I agree with everybody about going to Monterey.
Great boats, great topside attractions, great restaurants, and plenty of dive shops to rent gear and get squared away with a divemaster/guide.

Something else I will throw out there as an option:
There's also the ocean north of San Francisco which is known as the North Coast, but that's a little different, wilder, colder, rougher, but it is miles and miles of pristine beautiful coastline. It would be a do it yourself type of adventure with shore diving. There are no charter boats north of Monterey.
Depending on what kind of diver you are, your skill level, and your willingness to step out of the norm and do something more adventurous, the NC is also a possibility. There are a group of us up here that dive monthly when we can get in (see the sig line in my post here for a link).
If it works out and you wanted to try it let us know.

sorry it has taken me so long to get bake to you guys but thanks for all the advice, a little more about my diving level : I live in the UK near liverpool and dive the bay here as often as I can.Vis is between .1-15 metres (4"-45feet aprox) temp between 4 centigrade and 12 C depth 18-45 Metres avg about 25 metres currents and tides can be v strong we dive offshore from a RHIB usually 20-30 miles offshore any info on conditions overther in sept would be very usfull cheers guys
Tony Gage

September is usually about the nicest time of year here.
Monterey is still my first recommendation.

Cheers!

Eric

Back
Top Bottom