Got Air?

How many times have you forgotten to turn on your air before entering the water?

• Never!! I have skills!

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • less than 5 times

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • less than 10 times

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Air? What air?

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekk Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How many times have you forgotten to turn your air on before entering the water for a dive??

Truthfully...I can only recall this happening to me twice.. During my first couple of OW training dives in '99.

conducting even the most cursory buddy check will mean never getting into that situation.

I have attempted to get up a time or two with my tank still securly bungeed to the boat but have not hopped in after forgetting to turn on my air.

I have however had the experience mentioned above of having a well meaning individual screw up the righty-tighty, lefty- loosey thing and turn my air off. Consequently I share the sentiment that no one tocuhes my valves but me.

I turn them on to do the predive equipment checks and then recheck them just before donning my tanks to ensure no one has "assited" me in the interim.

I have seen people turn their air on, check their regs and then turn the air off. This is in my opinion a bad idea as you will then get 2-3 breaths and then be OOA on the way to the bottom. If you feel you have to do this, turn the air off and purge the system so no air remains in the hoses.

I think it is a very good practice just before entering the water (air and water temp permitting) to take a breath or two out of your reg(s) while monitoring the SPG to ensure the pressure stays where it should be. (The SPG needle will fall if the valve is closed and the needle will usually fall slightly and then rebound if the valve is only partly open) It's a last chance to discover a closed valve or other reg problem before it becomes a saftey issue.

A partly open valve can be as dangerous as a fully closed valve as the problem does not become apparent until at depth where inadequate air delivery can lead to serious problems.

*tilt*

What's THAT?

Ya mean people STILL dive air? *crosses eyes* No way... I don't believe it!

Since being OW certified in June 2003 and 21 dives to date, I have to say it has not happened to me so far.

I will be the first to admit it. Once after helping get everyone on the boat kited up and into the water I rushed to join my wife who was waiting for me to kit up I jumped in to join her. I had turned or checked everyone's air but my own, it took a long time to live that one down. ( I sometimes assist the DM on the charter boat that I use ).
Im not to big to admit Im not a god or walk on water.

to forgetting, was during one of the pool sessions in Basic OW course. Assembled my gear, started to put on the BC/tank, then remembered and took it off and turned on the air , THEN put the BC on.

Not that I have years of experience to go with.

Usually I freedive and having my air "turned off" just doesn't happen............. :D

Back
Top Bottom