Replacement bulb for 10W HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyricnz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys

Six months ago, I bought a second-hand DR 10W HID cannister light. From looking at the DR website, it appears to be MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light (based on appearance, and dimensions of cannister).

http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/retired/lt6250mr11-ss

The last few dives, the light has appeared really weak - to the point where I was unable to use it for signalling, and my buddy's LED light was all I could see. Not right! The light doesn't seem to flicker, and it powers up OK (the usual blue/orange flicker when warming up) - so I don't think it's the cable. I tried my buddies cannister on my light head - and it's definitely the light, not the battery.

So would the next guess be the bulb? I guess the light is 3-4 years old, since it was discontinued in 2008.

So, unless someone has a better suggestion, I suppose the next thing is to get a replacement bulb, and see if that works? I don't want to send it back to DR, since (a) I'm in Australia, and this will take a long time and expense, and (b) I'm not the original purchaser of the light.

So... where can I get a bulb for this light?

Thanks for your advice etc,
Simon

Edit: updated model after more research

Last edited:
I think it's the same bulb used in the UK Light Cannon. If so, you should be able to get one anywhere, although the problem could be with the ballast.

what would the symptom of a failed ballast be? how to tell?

(can you check current against some expected value?)

I'm no expert but if the ballast is bad the light will most likely not strike (I have a light just like this,sometimes it strikes,sometimes not)

Changing the bulb is a good place to start.If it does not fix it swap it back again and keep the new bulb as a spare.

If you want to certain it's the bulb before buying a new one, borrow the bulb from your buddies light. Of course if you screw up you then have 2 flooded lights and one annoyed buddy!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I contacted my local DR dealer, who said that they were unable to source replacement bulbs for my light; and are also unable to source the DR LED replacement innards. The best he could do was offer my a complete head replacement, with the LED model, at about 60% of the new-retail price. And gear is very expensive down here in AU. Ouch!

I guess I'll try a homemade bodge first, and if I stuff it up, go with the new head. Wish me luck! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom