Tokina 10-17 Extension Ring for D7000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carolina_Mike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I finally just got a Tokina 10-17 lens for my D90 and brand NEW D7000. The kit is going in an Aquatica housing with an 8" dome port. The guy at the UW camera place says I need Aquatica Extension ring 16.5mm for the 10-17, yet I thought that was not needed for the fisheye. This is my first fisheye, so I am looking for some help on whether and/or why the extension ring is needed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks Martin - it must have been a "senior moment" as I looked at the chart some time ago for the D90 and forgot about it. Now to call the shop back & put in the massive order. By the way - looked at your web-site - nice stuff. How is the balance with 250 Pro strobes.

I finally just got a Tokina 10-17 lens for my D90 and brand NEW D7000. The kit is going in an Aquatica housing with an 8" dome port. The guy at the UW camera place says I need Aquatica Extension ring 16.5mm for the 10-17, yet I thought that was not needed for the fisheye. This is my first fisheye, so I am looking for some help on whether and/or why the extension ring is needed. Thanks in advance for the help.

The extension is not used with the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye, but the Tokina is a physically longer lens and the extension is meant to reposition the lens properly inside the dome, in the case of the 8" (and 9.25" Megadome) dome port it is not obligatory to have it, but the corners of the image are a touch better with it, for the smaller 6" and especially the 4" Minidome it is a must.

and I agree Martin does really cool stuff underwater, hats off!

Thanks Jean - clean corners is what I want for the NC wreck & Sand Tiger pictures. I'm sure when I get all the parts (AD7000 and all) I'll be calling as it looks a bit more complicated than my old F3 housing. Guess it's time to call the boys at the store and spend money. All my "point-n-shoot" photo students want to see me go first.

Hi Mike.

I have the Aquatica AD7000 and Tokina 10-17mm setup. I havnt taken off the Tokina since I recieved the AD7000. I use the 8 inch dome and the extension #18456 and zoom #48717.

I been shooting alot of Grey Nurse sharks over this way lately and its the same species as your Sandtigers.

Here are some of my GNS sharks shots with this combination:

Flickr: AussieByron's Photostream

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom